Bertrand is Co-Chair of the Competition Group globally and works in Slaughter and May’s Brussels and London offices. He studied at the London School of Economics (MSc Economics).
Bertrand’s practice spans merger control, competition litigation, market inquiries and competition investigations. He has extensive experience of representing clients before the European Commission (EC) and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).
- Deliveroo in respect of Amazon’s acquisition of a minority interest in the company, which is subject to a Phase 2 review by the CMA.
- Prosafe SE and Floatel International Ltd on their proposed merger, which is subject to a Phase 2 review by the CMA.
- Marsh & McLennan on the worldwide merger control approvals for its acquisition of Jardine Lloyd Thompson, a combination of two leading professional services firms.
- Rolls-Royce on the merger control approvals for various acquisitions and disposals, including its acquisition of sole control of ITP and the sale of its marine business to Kongsberg.
- DS Smith on its acquisition of Europac, which was cleared at Phase 1 by the EC subject to commitments.
- JP Morgan Chase in relation to the EC’s investigation into trading on the foreign exchange market.
- Platts on the EC’s investigation into the manipulation of published prices for a number of oil and biofuel products.
- Nationwide on the CMA’s retail banking investigation.
Bertrand is listed as a Band 1 competition lawyer by Chambers and a Hall of Fame leading individual by Legal 500. He is also recognised as a Global Elite Thought Leader by Who’s Who Legal.
He is a member of the Brussels Bar (EU list), as well as being qualified as a solicitor (England and Wales).
- Clients enthuse that Bertrand Louveaux is "one of the very best antitrust lawyers in the world" and "never lets us down."Chambers UK 2021
- "He gets into the details, crafts strong arguments and really takes ownership of the matter." Chambers UK 2020