Whether you are developing, procuring, or investing in, financial technology we understand the opportunities and challenges you face. Our tier one-ranked Fintech practice supports clients from across the full Fintech spectrum: clients range from established financial institutions and global technology and telecoms companies, to investors and start-ups with the potential to act as market disrupters.
We regularly advise on the interplay between developments in the fields of technology, data exploitation and financial regulation. We recognise that businesses can have very different approaches and appetite to risk depending on where they sit in the Fintech sector. We acknowledge this in our advisory approach, and will tailor our input to meet your individual needs and requirements.
We have been advising our Fintech clients in multiple jurisdictions on a broad range of topics, including:
- the impact and development of AI solutions, blockchain-based projects and other emergent technologies
- IP creation, exploitation and protection
- financing and investments to fund R&D, product development/expansion plans and corporate acquisition activity
- joint venture projects
- strategic sourcing, including designing and implementing intelligent, multi-supplier technology sourcing processes
- payment services, electronic and mobile money services and the developing regulatory environment for those services, including deterrence and detection of financial crime
- technology licensing, development and procurement
- app design, development and licensing
- data protection, Big Data and information security
- cloud strategies
- HR and employment issues, including around contractor and employee engagement terms
- tax planning and structuring, including non-EEA firms seeking to expand into the UK and EU
- anti-trust and other competition aspects of collaborations and material transactions in the Fintech space
- exits, including IPOs
We have recently advised:
We advised Credit Karma on its expansion into Europe through the acquisition of Noddle
We advised Euroclear on a number of projects, including several small-scale strategic investments in early-stage Fintech businesses
We advised Stripe in connection with a range of matters, including the scope and application of EU regulatory regimes for payments, data and e-commerce; on product development, distribution arrangements and partner collaborations
We advised OakNorth on securing an investment round led by Japan’s SoftBank Vision Fund
We advised TrueLayer on a range of assignments, including in relation to customer contracts, data protection, product launches and commercial partnerships
We advised TreasurySpring on the design and marketing of an innovative platform for enabling corporate treasurers and other short-term investors to access high-grade long-term asset classes
We advised WorldRemit on a range of UK and EU regulatory and corporate matters, including new product and territory launches and agreements with commercial partners
We advised a number of early-stage wealthtech businesses developing both ‘traditional tech’ and AI-based financial advice platforms
We are delighted to have also supported clients including American Express, Handelsbanken, Silicon Valley Bank, Bupa and Alibaba on a range of projects and assignments in this space.
At its heart, meaningful involvement in Fintech often demands a re-basing and re-appraisal of your commercial and regulatory risk approach in the context of a fast-paced and changing development environment. We have been advising clients in this way for many years.