Peter is a partner in the Disputes and Investigations Group and has a broad-ranging international commercial arbitration and litigation practice.
Peter is a significant and leading member of our Arbitration Group, with particular expertise in complex, high value energy sector disputes, conducting arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA and SIAC rules.
Peter has a wide experience of handling complex and substantial litigation which often spans multiple jurisdictions, with his practice encompassing commercial, class action / group, competition and banking litigation.
Peter has also been involved in advising corporate and banking clients in relation significant investigations / regulatory matters.
Highlights include advising:
- On a major oil and gas related arbitration (SIAC) involving allegations of fraud and breach of contract, with damages claimed in excess of US$5.5 billion.
- BAT plc in respect of a group claim threatened by Malawian tobacco farmers, concerning allegations of child and forced labour on third party farms in Malawi.
- First MTR South Western Trains in respect of the first standalone and first alleged abuse of dominance related collective proceedings brought in the Competition Appeal Tribunal under the UK's competition class action regime.
- Standard Chartered Bank in long running investigations by UK and US authorities (FCA, DoJ, New York District Attorney, New York Department of Financial Services, US Federal Reserve and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)) into issues relating to inter alia, AML issues and compliance with the US sanctions regimes.
- John Wood Group on an investigation by the SFO into alleged bribery at certain AMEC Foster Wheeler companies it acquired in 2017 and strategic advice on parallel international investigations by the US, Brazilian and Scottish authorities. We successfully negotiated a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with the SFO announced in July 2021.
Peter is recognised in The Legal 500 as a “Rising Star” in Banking Litigation (Investment and Retail) and noted as a key member of the firm’s international arbitration group. He is also a contributing author to the The Class Actions Law Review.