Rob is a partner in our IP/IT group and is Head of our Technology and Outsourcing practices. He is also one of the partners in our Data Protection and Privacy hub, co-leads our cross-stream cyber advisory and fintech units and is also an active member of the firm’s Commercial Contracts advisory team.
His IP practice involves advising on the creation, protection and exploitation of IP rights in a diverse range of sectors, including media, financial services, technology and sport. His IT practice focuses on major outsourcing, development integration and technology licensing (including cloud) agreements, cyber security, and the technology and data issues arising in disruptive technology sectors, such as the fintech sector. He regularly assists clients with the technology, data and IP input to their emerging digital strategies.
Rob also has significant experience in handling the IP, technology and data protection aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other major corporate transactions.
His recent work includes advising:
- STAR India and STAR Middle East in relation to their successful bid for the global audio-visual rights for ICC Events from 2015-2023
- Royal Mail on a strategically important and transformational IT and outsourcing project, reported as the largest non-defence sector technology procurement in Europe
- Ericsson on a number of key strategic technology transformation and network management services arrangements with leading telecoms providers
- Aviva on its $1 billion (estimated) outsourcing to WNS, which saw WNS become the long-term strategic BPO service provider to Aviva's business units located in the UK, Canada and Ireland
- CSR, a leading designer and developer of silicon chips and software for the consumer electronics market, on a high profile global mobile connectivity and technology licensing deal with Samsung
- a major multinational utilities company on its cyber risk management framework which it uses to assess its compliance with the laws, regulations, guidance and best practice relating to cyber risk
- a global insurer in setting up a new digital and financial technology focused intermediary, including on the establishment of a contractual framework for the sharing and use of personal data within the group
- a UK payment systems company on the data protection implications of an innovative data sharing project in the fintech sector involving the use of data analytics
Rob is recognised as a notable practitioner for Information Technology and Outsourcing in Chambers UK, 2017, as a leading individual for Commercial Contracts in The Legal 500, 2016 and is listed in London Super Lawyers, 2015. He is a member of the PLC, IPIT and Communications Law Editorial Board and the Outsource Magazine Editorial Board, and also sits on the National Outsourcing Association's Cloud Computing Steering Committee. Rob is a Co-Contributing Editor of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Fintech 2017, a practical cross-border insight into Fintech law across 34 jurisdictions.
List of all our partners