Rob is a partner in our IP/Tech group and Head of our Technology and Strategic Sourcing practices. He is global co-head of the Data Privacy Hub and co-leads both our cross stream Cyber Advisory unit and our Emerging Technology team.
He advises on all areas of technology, digital and data, including around emerging technologies such as blockchain, AI/ML and IoT, as well as privacy, cyber and the regulation of data across a broad range of sectors. He regularly helps clients understand and mitigate risk, whether linked to a changing regulatory compliance framework, adapting to evolving technological advancement, implementation of material transformation programmes or the increasing complexity around the management of data.
His IP practice involves advising on the creation, protection and exploitation of IP rights in a diverse range of sectors, including media, financial services, technology and sport. Rob also has significant experience in handling the IP, technology and data protection aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other major corporate transactions.
As head of the Strategic Sourcing practice, Rob is often called on by clients to advise on risks, structuring options and commercial impacts of sourcing and procurement arrangements. In this role, Rob was part of our 4-partner team leading our independent review of the problems faced by TSB with its major IT platform transformation, the report on which was published in 2019.
His recent work includes advising:
- STAR India and STAR Middle East in relation to their successful bid for the global audio-visual rights for ICC Events from 2015-2023
- Burberry on a strategic and transformational project to outsource its global network services to Verizon Communications Inc.
- Leading global semiconductor IP and IoT company, ARM Limited, on IP and services arrangements with its Chinese JV partner.
- Credit Karma, one of the world’s highest valued fintech companies, on its first move into Europe with its acquisition of Noddle, an online consumer credit scoring service.
- Ericsson on a number of key strategic technology transformation and network management services arrangements with leading telecoms providers
- an Australian bank and financial services provider on the extra-territorial application of the GDPR to its global operations and on ensuring compliant international transfers of personal data
- Designing IP and privacy compliance strategies for an early stage emerging technology company developing a unique cloud and blockchain platform for digital identity verification services
- A major multinational utilities company on its cyber risk management framework which it uses to assess its compliance with the laws, regulations, guidance and best practice relating to cyber risk
- Providing strategic advice to a consortium of UK police forces in connection with a long-running dispute with their IT platform provider
Rob’s team won the Law Firm of the Year 2018 award at the Global Sourcing Association Awards. Rob is recognised as a notable practitioner for Information Technology and Outsourcing in Chambers UK, 2019 and as a leading individual for Commercial Contracts in The Legal 500 2019 . He is a member of the PLC editorial board and the editorial board of the Global Data Review. Rob is a Co-Contributing Editor of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Fintech 2019, a practical cross-border insight into Fintech law across 52 jurisdictions. Rob was the independent member of the UK Government selection panel that appointed the current Information Commissioner.