Matthew is Head of our Debt Capital Markets practice. He advises on a wide range of banking and financing work, including acquisition and bid financing, capital markets and securitisation transactions. Matthew also leads our Sustainable Finance practice which has advised on several green bonds issued by banks and multinationals and also green loans.
Matthew is recognised as a leading individual in the Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans section of Chambers UK, 2020. He is also listed amongst the key debt capital markets partners at The Legal 500.
Highlights include advising:
- ISS, one of the world's leading facility services companies, on the issuance of €500 million 0.875%. notes due 2026 under its €3 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme. The notes are listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Derwent London plc in relation to its new five-year £450 million revolving credit facility. The financing includes a ‘green’ tranche of £300 million, which Derwent and the arrangers have stated makes it the first revolving credit facility provided to a UK Real Estate Investment Trust that meets the LMA Green Loan Principles.
- Ocado Group plc on an offering of £600 million of guaranteed senior unsecured convertible bonds due 2025.
- Royal Dutch Shell plc on the issue of a triple-tranche US$4 billion bond under its US shelf programme. The issue consists of US$1.25 billion 2.000% Guaranteed Notes due 2024, US$1.5 billion 2.375% Guaranteed Notes due 2029 and US$1.25 billion 3.125% Guaranteed Notes due 2049, in each case issued by Shell International Finance B.V. and guaranteed by Royal Dutch Shell plc.
- Ovo Energy, the UK’s leading independent energy supplier, in connection with its purchase of SSE plc’s GB household energy and services business, for consideration of £500 million, comprising £400 million in cash and £100 million in loan notes. Together, the businesses serve almost 5 million customers across the UK.
- Close Brothers Limited on the annual update and revision of its £2 billion Euro Medium Term Note programme.
"He is very collaborative, helpful and enjoyable to work with." (Chambers UK, 2020)
“Very experienced in loan agreements.” (The Legal 500)