Justin is a corporate partner in our Hong Kong office and has substantial experience in mergers and acquisitions, public takeovers, privatisations, joint ventures, equity and debt capital markets, Hong Kong Listing Rules advisory work as well as general commercial work. He has advised various Hong Kong listed companies, state-owned enterprises and investment banks.
Justin is recognised as a Rising Star in the 2023 edition of China Business Law Journal and Asian Legal Business.
His recent work highlights include advising:
- INEOS on its series of landmark joint ventures with SINOPEC for an aggregate value of USD7 billion in respect of Shanghai SECCO Petrochemical, a 600ktpa ABS plant to be built based on INEOS’ world-leading Terluran® ABS technology and a greenfield HDPE joint venture (recognised by Asian Legal Business as the M&A Deal of the Year 2023), its 50:50 joint venture with SINOPEC in respect of the Tianjin Nangang Ethylene Project, and its second ABS plant joint venture with SINOPEC in Tianjin
- State Power Investment Corporation (SPIC) group members on various matters, including its Hong Kong listed subsidiary China Power International Development on its USD1.1 billion acquisition of clean energy assets from China Power New Energy and its USD1.5 billion acquisition of five clean energy projects from SPIC, SPIC Guangdong Power and China Power Complete Equipment
- Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley as financial advisers in the privatisations of Li & Fung and iMAX China by scheme of arrangement
- Swire Pacific on its participation in the US$70 million financing round for Green Monday and its HK$2.7 billion sale of its 100% interest in Swire Duro Holdings and 40% interest in Akzo Nobel Swire Paints to the Akzo Nobel Group
- Sands China on its 2018 issue of US$5.5 billion senior notes, 2020 issue of US$1.5 billion senior notes and 2021 issue of US$1.95 billion senior notes listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing on its £29.6 billion possible offer for London Stock Exchange
- Cathay Pacific Airways on its acquisition of Hong Kong’s only low-cost carrier, Hong Kong Express Airways
- Alibaba on its privatisation of Intime Retail by scheme (recognised in the China Business Law Journal’s Deals of the Year 2017 Report and awarded Deal of the Year 2017 in the Privatization; Retail categories) and as a pre-IPO investor in the listing of GOGOX on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
Justin read law at the University of Cambridge. He is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong and England and Wales. He provides legal services in both English and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese).
Justin is a Certified Public Accountant in Hong Kong and a Chartered Accountant in England and Wales, being a member of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA), the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and the ICAEW Hong Kong Leaders Under 40 Committee.
Justin was previously seconded to the Investment Banking Division of the Hong Kong office of Goldman Sachs, where he assisted in advising technology companies and financial institutions on IPO fundraising plans and M&A investment strategies.