James has a broad international corporate practice, advising on public and private M&A activity, joint ventures and equity capital market transactions across the world. He also advises clients on company law, corporate governance and structuring and other general advisory matters.
James is recognised in Legal 500 as a Next Generation Partner, with client testimonials noting that he “showed extreme versatility, and demonstrated full command over every nuanced detail; he was always responsive and on the ball. He was truly impressive as a young partner, and demonstrated a real partnership mindset to all that he did. I would not hesitate to recommend him for any project moving forward.”
James has a particular focus in the Tech sector, and is co-head of our Fintech and Emerging Tech practices and a core member of our Tech Transactions team. He advises Tech clients of all sizes, from start-ups on pre-seed fundraisings through to late-stage growth companies and large listed companies. He co-authors the United Kingdom chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide for Fintech and the United Kingdom chapter of the Legal 500 blockchain publication.
Highlights include advising:
- Equinix on various transactions, including its expansion into Africa through the $320m acquisition of MainOne, its transformational £2.35bn acquisition of Telecity, the $874.4m sale of eight European assets to Digital Realty and its $93m acquisition of Zenium’s data centre business in Istanbul
- Vodafone on various transactions including its €18.4 billion acquisition of Liberty Global’s business in Germany and certain CEE countries
- Schroders on its acquisition of an initial 75% shareholding in Greencoat Capital
- Credit Karma on its entry into the UK and acquisition of Noddle
- Various early-stage growth clients on fundraisings, including Sidequest on its Series A fundraising led by Google Ventures and Sablier on its pre-seed fundraising.
- Reckitt on the sale of its Infant Formula and Child Nutrition business in China to Primavera for $2.2 billion
- RSA on its £7.2bn acquisition by Intact and Tryg
- Mediclinic International on its acquisition by Remgro and MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company
- Homeserve on its £4.1bn acquisition by Brookfield Infrastructure
- Rolls Royce on its proposed recapitalisation package, including its £2bn rights issue