Sara is Head of our Tax practice.
Sara advises a wide range of clients on all aspects of corporate taxation and corporate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, demergers and corporate reconstructions, structured finance, securitisations and asset finance. Sara has extensive experience of advising on disputes with HMRC which have been settled following negotiation or which have proceeded to litigation.
Recent highlights include advising:
- Michael Kors on its £896 million recommended cash acquisition of Jimmy Choo
- Centrica on its agreement with Stadtwerke München GmbH to combine Centrica’s European oil and gas exploration business with Bayerngas Norge
- Linde AG on its combination with Praxair, Inc.
- INEOS on its acquisition of (i) the Forties Pipeline System and (ii) DONG Energy’s Oil & Gas business
- Richemont on the merger of its subsidiary, Net-a-Porter with the Italian group, YOOX, to create an online global fashion giant with combined sales of €1.3b billion
- Remgro and Mediclinic (both JSE Listed) on the acquisition by a subsidiary of Remgro of a 29.9% interest in Spire Healthcare Groups and the recommended combination (as a reverse takeover) of Mediclinic with UK listed Al Noor Hospitals Group
- Cable & Wireless Communications on its acquisition of Columbus International for a consideration of US$1.85 billion and its subsequent takeover by Liberty Global
- Punch, on the capital restructuring of £2.3 billion of gross debt, being one of the largest and most complicated capital restructurings in the last decade and its subsequent takeover by Vine Acquisitions
- First Nationwide, a subsidiary of Nationwide Building Society, on the successful defence of an appeal to the Court of Appeal by HMRC in January 2012, which clarified the tax treatment of dividends
Sara was recognised in the 2018 FT & HERoes 100 Female Executives - celebrating 100 senior female role models who are helping to increase gender diversity in the workplace.
Sara is listed as a leading individual for Corporate Tax in the 2020 editions of The Legal 500 and Chambers UK and in Chambers Europe and Chambers Global 2019. Sara is also listed in the latest edition of Who's Who Legal, the Tax Directors Handbook and the ITR's Tax Controversy and Women in Tax Leaders Guides.
Sara is also recommended in the Brexit section of The Legal 500, 2020.
Sara writes regularly for a number of tax publications and is a frequent speaker at conferences.
List of all our partners