Jan is Head of our Financial Regulation Group and a member of our Financial Institutions Group.
Jan’s practice focuses on matters of strategic importance to financial institutions, with particular emphasis on regulatory advice (both contentious and non-contentious) and multi-jurisdictional corporate and commercial transactions. He acts for a broad range of financial institutions, including banks, investment banks, brokers, insurance and reinsurance groups, market infrastructure operators and asset managers.
Jan is on the firm’s Brexit Committee with responsibility for financial services. He is at the forefront of the industry’s thought leadership on the impact of Brexit. This includes working with several industry bodies, such as TheCityUK and UK Finance.
Jan has been recognised as a leading individual in the 'Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory' section of Chambers UK, and is the contributing editor of The Banking Regulation Review (Law Business Research, since 2010). He is a regular contributor to PLC Magazine and is a member of the Financial Markets Law Committee.
Highlights include advising:
- Global banking groups on structural reform, including on the development and implementation of the UK’s recovery and resolution and bank ring-fencing regimes, involving significant group reorganisations and sustained engagement with the UK government and regulators
- Financial institutions across several financial services sectors, including global banking and insurance groups, market infrastructure operators, and private equity firms, on Brexit and related corporate and business restructurings
- Standard Chartered Group on its establishment of a Hong Kong hub entity structure intended to enhance capital and liquidity utilisation across the Standard Chartered Group, in particular on the governance arrangements of the Group post-reorganisation
- Prudential on the demerger of its UK and Europe business, M&G
- A number of M&A transactions in the UK challenger bank sector, including advising OneSavings Bank on its acquisition of Charter Court Financial Services
- Strategic advice to private banks and asset managers on governance and regulatory matters
“He has a brilliant mind and very sound judgement" Chambers UK 2020