John has a broad corporate and corporate finance practice. He has particular experience in public and private M&A and equity capital markets.
Highlights include advising:
- Royal Mail, esure, Ocado and Standard Life on their IPOs – each of which involved retail and institutional offers
- esure on the demerger of Gocompare.com
- esure and GoCo Group on their public takeovers
- Ocado on its joint-venture arrangements with M&S, its sourcing and supply arrangements with Waitrose and on its 2019 and 2020 convertible bonds
- Equinix Inc. on its acquisition, by way of public takeover, of Telecity Group plc
- Rambus Inc. on the acquisition, and subsequent disposal, of Smart Card Software Limited
- HM Treasury on a number of aspects of HM Government’s bank recovery plan, including Bradford & Bingley, the Icelandic banks and its injections of capital into RBS, Lloyds and HBOS
- Ørsted on its disposal of a 50% interest in the 659MW Walney Extension offshore wind farm, on the UK regulatory aspects of its IPO, on its acquisition of Shell Gas Direct and on its disposal of its CCGT power station at Severn
- Centrica on its offshore wind farm joint ventures and on its acquisition, by way of public takeover, of Venture Production plc
- Premier Oil on its restructuring and on its reverse takeover of Chrysaor, forming Harbour Energy
- Trafigura on the disposal of a stake in its Impala business and related joint venture arrangements
John has been included in The Lawyer's ‘Hot 100’ lawyers list and is listed as highly regarded in the Capital markets: Equity M&A section of the IFLR1000 2021. John was seconded to Goldman Sachs in 2004 where he focused on equity capital markets and private equity matters.