Ian heads our Restructuring and Insolvency group, and maintains a broad restructuring and insolvency practice, from difficult refinancings and restructurings to formal insolvencies. He regularly advises:
- Companies (and their boards), creditors and other stakeholders on all aspects of corporate financial distress and contingency planning.
- Private equity firms and hedge funds on distressed investments, loan to own strategies and litigation issues.
- European governments and central banks on complex and ground-breaking matters, including bank recapitalisation and resolution, new legislative toolkits and the establishment of bad banks and asset management companies.
- Interserve plc, one of the world’s leading support services and construction groups, on the development and implementation of a deleveraging plan designed to reduce the group’s debt by approximately £485 million and provide £110 million of fresh liquidity.
- Seadrill Limited, one of the world’s largest oil contractors, on its comprehensive restructuring plan, which was implemented via chapter 11 and encompassed its £12.8 billion of existing bank and bond debt, and new investment comprising a $200 million direct equity investment and an $880 million high yield bond.
The Board of Thomas Cook Group plc in connection with the proposed recapitalisation plan, the liquidation of Thomas Cook Group plc and the subsequent parliamentary inquiry.
- Credit Suisse in relation to the financial restructuring of Danaos Corporation.
- HM Treasury, the Central Bank of Cyprus, the Irish Government and the Portuguese Ministry of Finance in connection with the financial crisis and bank resolution and recapitalisation options.
- The Wonga Group, which was previously the UK’s largest payday lender, on a potential restructuring before its entry into administration, and subsequently the administrators in relation to the conduct of the administration.
Ian sits on the City of London Law Society’s Insolvency Committee and was included in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 in 2020. He is ranked in Chambers UK, 2020 which says “The "incredibly strong" Ian Johnson is noted for his expert handling of restructuring and insolvency matters for corporates and funds. Clients say: "Ian is exceptional: his breadth of experience, his team leadership and his calm, commercial advice are best in class." He is listed as a “Leading Individual” by the Legal 500, 2020, and is a “Highly Regarded” practitioner in the IFLR 1000, 2020.