David heads one of the firm’s corporate groups and has over 25 years’ experience advising on a wide range of corporate transactions, commercial agreements and governance matters. He has particular expertise in public and private M&A transactions, joint ventures and equity financings. David acts for a number of listed companies, including BAT, BHP, Cineworld, GlaxoSmithKline, IAG, Marston’s, SEGRO and The Restaurant Group.
His recent significant transactions include advising:
- GSK on the proposed demerger of its consumer health business to form Haleon
- Bordeaux UK Holdings II (an affiliate of Optum Health Solutions and a wholly owned subsidiary of United Health Group) on its £1.243 billion recommended offer for EMIS Group
- BHP on the unification of its dual listed company structure, and the US$294m disposal of its interest in the Cerrejón energy coal joint venture in Colombia to Glencore
- Arrow Global Group on the recommended £563 million cash offer by Sherwood Acquisitions
- IAG on its rights issue to raise up to €2.75 billion
- Cineworld on its US$3.6 billion acquisition of Regal Entertainment and issues of equity warrants and US$213 million convertible bonds
- Marston’s on its brewing joint venture with Carlsberg A/S
- William Hill on its recommended £2.9 billion cash takeover by Caesars Entertainment
- GSK on its £3.1 billion sale of Horlicks and other consumer healthcare nutrition brands to Unilever and numerous other M&A transactions
- The Restaurant Group on its acquisition of Wagamama, the restructuring of its Leisure Group through a CVA and placing and open offer to raise £175 million
- SEGRO on its rights issue to raise £573 million and placing to raise £680 million
David is named as a leading individual in the ‘Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability’ in Chambers UK 2021, Chambers Europe 2021 and Chambers Global 2021. He is also listed as a leading individual for ‘Life Sciences: Transactional’ in Chambers UK 2021 and listed in the ‘M&A: Premium Deals’ section of the Legal500 UK 2021.
“David Johnson is admired by sources for his ability to “give very good advice, both legally and commercially, to his clients.” Chambers UK 2020
"David is excellent, and always keeps responsibility for the work." Chambers UK 2021