Phil advises on all aspects of employment, employee benefits, incentivisation and pensions matters.
Transactional highlights include advising:
- William Hill plc on the incentives, employment and pensions aspects of its recommended acquisition by Caesars Entertainment, Inc.
- Sophos plc on the incentives and employment aspects of its acquisition by Thoma Bravo
- Merlin Entertainments plc on its acquisition by a consortium of KIRKBI Invest A/S, Blackstone Core Equity Advisers L.L.C.,
- Whitbread on the employment and pensions aspects of its sale of Costa Limited to The Coca-Cola Company
- DS Smith plc on the employment aspects of its proposed acquisition of Papeles y Cartones de Europa, S.A., known as “Europac”, a leading Western European integrated packaging business
- Shire plc on the incentives aspects of a recommended offer by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Tata Steel on the restructuring of the £13 billion British Steel Pension Scheme through a regulated apportionment arrangement with the Trustee, and the contingent creation of a new British Steel Pension Scheme, with the support of the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund
- Bupa on the employment and pensions aspects of the sale of parts of its UK care homes business to HC-One and Advinia
Besides advising on transactions, Phil regularly advises clients on employment matters (particularly in relation to senior management), employee benefits, incentivisation and pensions matters, including:
- The appointment and termination of executives and other employees and associated arrangements
- Share awards and options, and other bonus and incentive arrangements
- The corporate governance aspects of executive remuneration
Phil is a member of the Corporate and Regulatory Committee of the Share Plan Lawyers Group, and a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and the Association of Pension Lawyers. Phil is also recognised as a Next Generation Partner in the Employee Share Schemes section of Legal 500 (2021).