Phil advises on all aspects of employment, employee benefits, incentivisation and pensions matters.
Recent transactional highlights include advising:
- Whitbread on the employment and pensions aspects of its sale of Costa Limited to The Coca-Cola Company
- Tata Steel on the employment and pensions aspects of its proposed 50/50 Joint Venture with thyssenkrupp AG to create a leading European steel enterprise, and on the employment and pensions aspects of other transactions including the sale of Longs Steel UK (now British Steel) and its specialty steels business
- Tata Steel on the restructuring of the £13 billion British Steel Pension Scheme through a regulated apportionment arrangement (RAA) with the Trustee, and the contingent creation of a new British Steel Pension Scheme, with the support of the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund
- DS Smith plc on the employment aspects of its proposed acquisition of Papeles y Cartones de Europa, S.A., known as “Europac”, a leading Western European integrated packaging business
- Shire plc on the incentives aspects of a recommended offer by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (Takeda)
- Legal & General on the employment aspects of the sale of its Mature Savings business to the ReAssure division of Swiss Re
- Bupa on the employment and pensions aspects of the sale of parts of its UK care homes business to HC-One and Advinia
Besides advising on transactions, Phil regularly advises clients on employment matters (particularly in relation to senior management), employee benefits, incentivisation and pensions matters, including:
- The appointment and termination of executives and other employees and associated arrangements
- Share awards and options, and other bonus and incentive arrangements
- The corporate governance aspects of executive remuneration
- General pensions advisory work
Phil is a member of the Corporate and Regulatory Committee of the Share Plan Lawyers Group, and a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and the Association of Pension Lawyers. Phil is also recognised as a Next Generation Partner in the Employee Share Schemes section of Legal 500 (2020).