William was educated at Cambridge and Oxford universities. He is based in London, but spends a significant amount of his time in Brussels.
William has extensive experience in a wide range of competition and regulatory matters. He has been involved in a number of major cartel and other behavioural cases, including global antitrust investigations. He has also acted on a number of high-profile merger cases (including at Phase II) before the EU and UK competition authorities. In addition, he has significant experience in the field of competition litigation.
Highlights include advising:
- Deutsche Bank in the context of the multiple investigations into the setting of interbank offered benchmark rates and associated competition litigation.
- Vodafone on the mergers of its Dutch business with that of Liberty Global and its Indian business with that of Idea.
- Tata Steel on the combination of its European steel business with that of thyssenkrupp.
- GE on the disposal of its equipment finance and businesses in France and Germany to Banque Fédérative du Crédit Mutuel.
- Compagnie Financière Richemont on the merger of Net-A-Porter and Yoox.
- Ensco on its combination with Rowan Companies.
- Spirit on its takeover by Greene King.
William was identified as a ‘Thought Leader’ by Who’s Who Legal: Competition (2020). He was shortlisted in the ‘Lawyer of the Year – Under 40’ category in the 2019 Global Competition Review awards.