Mike is Head of our Tax practice. He has extensive experience advising both on transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, group reorganisations and structured finance, and on more contentious matters, such as diverted profits and transfer pricing enquires, unallowable purpose challenges and State aid enquiries, both domestically and overseas.
Highlights include advising:
- Prudential plc on the demerger of M&G plc
- Whitbread plc on the sale of Costa Coffee to The Coca-Cola Company for £3.9bn and a subsequent return of value to shareholders
- Ensco plc on its $12bn combination with Rowan Companies plc
- GDF Suez Teesside Limited on a tax appeal before the Court of Appeal
- Several multinational groups on the EU Commission’s State aid enquiry into the UK’s finance company partial exemption and related appeals to the European Courts
- Various banks and insurance groups including RSA and Direct Line on the issue of RT1 notes and other regulatory capital instruments
Mike contributes a regular monthly column to the Tax Journal and is a frequent speaker at various conferences on a wide range of tax issues.
Mike is ranked for Corporate Tax in the latest editions of Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global and is recommended for both Corporate Tax and Tax Litigation and Investigations in The Legal 500, 2020. He is also listed in the latest edition of ITR’s Tax Controversy Leaders Guide, Who's Who Legal and the Tax Directors Handbook. Mike has previously been named as one of Financial News’s 40 under 40 Rising Stars.