Rebecca is a partner in our Technology, Digital, Data and IP group and heads our Data Privacy practice.
Rebecca’s background is as a corporate lawyer but for many years has split her time between her corporate and data practices.
Her data practice covers data privacy, cyber and digital. She supports clients on data projects, on data aspects of corporate and commercial transactions and as part of disputes and regulatory investigations, as well as on standalone privacy issues such as strategic DSARs. She regularly advises clients on cyber preparedness and on incident response, taking the lead as global counsel. Rebecca also advises on areas adjacent to data, including on online social harms and AI.
Rebecca’s corporate practice consists of advising clients on M&A transactions, joint ventures, primary and secondary equity issue, corporate reporting and governance and commercial contracts.
Rebecca is vice chair of the City of London Law Society Data Law Committee, and regularly writes for Privacy Laws and Business, as well as speaking at their conferences and others such as the International Bar Association meetings.
Recent data, cyber and digital experience includes advising:
- a multinational distribution and outsourcing company in respect of a ransomware attack
- a financial services company on a data breach involving multiple jurisdictions
- various pension schemes impacted by the Capital data breach
- a complex data sharing scheme between organisations to prevent fraud
- an insurer on an AI project to improve efficiency of claims handling
- a FTSE 100 company on a contentious DSAR from a senior manager
- a potential purchaser on the data protection and other aspects of its proposed acquisition of a consumer data analytics business, including assessing its ability to fully exploit data whilst remaining compliant with the relevant data protection regimes
- the seller of a consumer data business, including on data privacy aspects
- L&G on the data privacy aspects of its £4.8 billion full buy in of the Boots pension scheme
- An insurer on data privacy aspects of its acquisition of renewal rights from another insurer
Corporate highlights include advising:
- DMG Media on its proposed joint venture with News UK
- Shell plc and its directors on the successful defence of a potential derivative action
- Oxford Nanopore on its Initial Public Offering
- Shell plc on the simplification of its share structure, including aligning its tax residency with its UK place of incorporation
- Prudential plc on its Hong Kong public offer and international placing
- FNZ on the CMA mandated sale of GBST and the subsequent reacquisition of GBST’s capital markets business
- Shell plc on its recommended cash and share offer for BG Group plc
- Reckitt Benckiser Group plc on the demerger of its RB pharmaceuticals business to form Indivior plc