Ewan is Co-Head of our Global Investigations Group. He has a broad-based contentious practice with a particular focus on financial institutions, acting in both litigation and regulatory investigations. Ewan also has experience advising in relation to corporate crime, competition claims, shareholder disputes, outsourcing and tax appeals.
Highlights include advising:
- Standard Life Aberdeen (SLA) group in an arbitration with Lloyds Banking Group in respect of the termination of a long term investment management contract. The arbitral tribunal ruled in SLA’s favour in March 2019.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank on cross-border investigations conducted by the FCA, DoJ, and other regulators worldwide in relation to alleged misconduct in the G10 spot FX market, and on the subsequent settlements. Ewan is also acting on civil claims brought in the UK following the regulatory decisions, including potential collective proceedings.
- John Wood Group PLC in relation to an investigation by the SFO into alleged bribery.
- A FTSE 100 institution in a FCA investigation relating to the sale of non-advised annuities.
- Deutsche Bank in relation to extensive regulatory investigations into the setting of various interbank benchmark rates – including LIBOR – over a number of years across multiple jurisdictions, including the US, UK and Germany, and on the subsequent coordinated settlements.
- Banco Santander Totta in successful litigation relating to the validity of interest rate swaps entered into on ISDA terms between the bank and Portuguese public sector companies.
- BlueCrest in tax appeals relating to its partner incentivisation arrangements.
- The Reed Group in the Court of Appeal and below on appeals against HMRC tax assessments relating to a travel to work benefit scheme operated over a 6 year period, and on related judicial review proceedings and claims against Reed’s professional advisers.
- The executive team and owners of Charterhouse Capital Partners, a private equity firm, in their successful defence in both the High Court and Court of Appeal of an unfair prejudice petition brought by a retired partner.
Ewan is recognised in Chambers UK 2020 for Banking Litigation and Legal 500 2020 for Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail as a Leading Individual.
Ewan is one of the firm’s two Diversity and Inclusion Partners and has responsibility for promoting diversity and inclusion in all areas of the firm.
Clients say: “We liked how Ewan came across - he was very considerate and his style dovetailed well with ours, so it felt like a team effort.” Chambers UK 2020, Banking Litigation
Ewan Brown is endorsed by sources as "a great and very talented regulatory lawyer." He advises major banks on a range of issues including alleged misconduct in relation to benchmark interest rates and FX trading, often in the context of multi-jurisdictional investigations. Chambers UK 2019, Banking Litigation