Dan is a partner in our Pensions Employment & Incentives Group. He joined the firm in 2017. He has over twenty five years of partner experience. His practice is transactional, general advisory and contentious. He advises employers and trustees. Dan’s experience includes risk transfer, covenant and funding solutions and dispute resolution.
Dan’s work includes acting for:
- Intact and RSA Group - advising Intact and RSA Group on the largest ever bulk annuity transaction from pension schemes to insurer, covering 40,000 members and c.£6.5 billion of liabilities
- Railways Pension Scheme - advising Railways Pension Scheme in successful High Court litigation in RPTCL v Atos (2022)
- John Lewis partnership - advising the John Lewis partnership on the pensions aspects of its £500m residential rental homes joint venture with Abrdn
- Schneider Electric SE – advising Schneider Electric SE on pensions aspects of its recommended cash offer for Aveva Group Plc
- Daily Mail General Trust - Advising Daily Mail and General Trust Plc on the £3.1bn reorganisation of DMGT, comprising a recommended cash offer by RCL and a proposed distribution to all shareholders.
- Ultra Electronics - advising Ultra Electronics Holdings plc on its £2.6 billion recommended cash acquisition by Cobham Ultra Acquisitions Limited, a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of Cobham Group Holdings Limited (which is indirectly controlled by Advent International Corporation and its affiliates)
RSA Insurance Group plc - advising on the £7.2bn recommended cash offer by Intact Financial Corporation and Tryg A/S (both overseas entities) and reaching agreement with the trustees of RSA’s defined benefit pension schemes.
De La Rue plc - advising De La Rue plc on the pensions aspects of its placing and open offer of new ordinary shares to raise gross proceeds of £100 million.
E.ON – advising on electricity privatisation and since 1990. Recent work includes the demerger with Uniper and the establishment of the Uniper group of Electricity Supply Pension Scheme and the acquisition from RWE of the Innogy business and pensions arrangement.
Railways Pension Scheme – having advised BRB on privatisation in 1992 – 1996 he has advised since 1997 the trustee of the 110 section industry-wide scheme.
Severn Trent trustees – advising on equalisation, master trust transfer and triennial actuarial valuations.
Prudential plc and M&G plc – advising on the demerger of M&G from Prudential involving 3 pension schemes with liabilities exceeding £7.5 billion in total.
Dan is listed as a leading individual in Chambers UK and Legal 500 Directories. He lectures regularly at Oxford University.
“He is the leading intellect among London pension solicitors. He is tireless in exploring every angle that might serve a client’s commercial agenda” (Legal 500, 2023)
“He is exceptional - a superb technical lawyer" (Chambers, 2023)