Damian is a partner in the Disputes and Investigations Group and is the co-head of the International Arbitration Group. He advises on all contentious matters, drawing on his broad experience across a wide variety of disputes before the High Court, Competition Appeals Tribunal and international arbitration Tribunals, as well as advising clients on investigations commenced by regulators.
Damian has particular experience in the field of competition law, group actions, contractual interpretation, insurance and commercial fraud. He acts for clients across a broad spectrum including energy and financial institutions, governments and high profile sports clubs.
Damian sits on the firm's Africa Practice Group and helps develop the firm's practice in Africa, as well as acting for African clients and clients investing in Africa.
Highlights include advising:
- Truck manufacturer MAN SE in its defence of one of the largest ever competition law follow-on damages proceedings in the UK courts and Competition Appeals Tribunal which cover multiple individual claims, group actions and competing applications for Collective Proceedings Orders.
- ForteBank, one of Kazakhstan's largest banks, in a billion dollar fraud claim in the Commercial Court against its former controlling shareholders and their related entities, and in related international arbitrations, including the international enforcement of a $600m Award and separate proceedings against individuals involved before the Cypriot courts.
- Multiple mandates for Premier League football clubs on disputes ranging from a series of injunctions to force through the sale of Liverpool Football Club, to player transfer, ticketing and stadium related disputes. Also disputes acting for media rights holders against a variety of sporting associations.
- The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (now First Abu Dhabi Bank), one of the largest banks in the Middle East, in its claim against BP for the return of c. $70 million under a commercial agreement concerning debts owed by Morocco’s Samir refinery. The case was the first to use the English Commercial Court’s innovative and new Shorter Trials Scheme.
- Fortress Investment Group in High Court proceedings against third party fund managers for conspiracy and causing loss by unlawful means, which involved seeking a novel form of injunctive relief to protect and recover the assets.
- The Serious Fraud Office, the independent UK government department responsible for investigating complex fraud and other financial crime, in its defence against claims brought by the Tchenguiz brothers for alleged trespass, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and misfeasance in public office. The claims are reportedly one of the highest ever brought against a UK law enforcement agency.
- Equitas/Resolute in its High Court proceedings regarding its pursuit of multiple, substantial, and complex reinsurance claims against its reinsurer, R&Q Reinsurance Company (UK) Limited arising out of historic LMX spiral losses flowing from the loss of British Airways and Kuwait Airlines planes during the First Gulf War and the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
Damian Taylor delivers ‘excellent strategic thinking’ and ‘manages complex litigation very efficiently' Legal 500 UK 2020 - International Arbitration
Damian Taylor, who 'provides clear and pragmatic advice on difficult questions'. Legal 500 UK 2019 - Commercial Litigation
Damian Taylor, who is 'bright and incisive' Legal 500 UK 2019 - International Arbitration
Damian is recognised by Legal500 UK 2020 as a Next Generation Partner for Commercial Litigation
Damian sits on the committee of the London Solicitors Litigation Association (LSLA).
He is the co-author of a student textbook on contract law published by Oxford University Press and is the Contributing Editor to the In-House Lawyer comparative guide for Litigation.
Damian is also the editor of The Dispute Resolution Review, an annual compilation of Dispute Resolution developments across the globe.