Richard specialises in planning, highways, listed building, compulsory purchase, environmental and health and safety law.
He is head of our Planning Group and gives strategic advice on and manages applications, appeals, inquiries and the judicial review of regulatory decisions. He also advises on environmental and health and safety issues in respect of corporate mergers and acquisitions and on environmental and climate change regulation.
He is a member, and past Chair, of The Law Society’s Planning and Environmental Law Committee and a Legal Associate of The Royal Town Planning Institute.
Highlights include advising:
- Everton FC on securing planning permission, listed building consents, marine licences, harbour authority approvals and environmental permits for its new stadium at Bramley Moore Dock
- The Clothworkers’ Company on securing planning permission and highway closures for its new 35 storey office tower at 50 Fenchurch Street
- Essex County Council on a long running dispute in the Planning Court and the Technology and Construction Court
- Ørsted on its Hornsea One offshore wind farm
- Halsbury Homes Group on its residential developments
- Ocado on its customer fulfilment centres at Bicester, Bristol, Erith and Purfleet
- Bourne Leisure on the sale to Blackstone of Butlins, Warner Hotels and Haven Caravan Parks
- The Restaurant Group on its acquisition of Wagamama
- Whitbread plc on its sale of Costa Coffee to The Coca-Cola Company
- Drax on its acquisition of Scottish Power’s portfolio of pumped storage, hydro and gas-fired generation assets and its subsequent sale of the gas-fired assets
- Aker Horizons on its acquisition of Mainstream Renewable Power