Richard’s practice spans a broad-range of high profile commercial disputes, investigations and contentious regulatory, pensions and tax matters, often involving multiple jurisdictions. He has experience advising clients at all stages of a dispute - from how to avoid potential challenges when structuring and implementing a transaction through to eventual proceedings. He acts for major corporates, trustees and financial institutions as well as governmental bodies and international organisations.
Richard is the contributing editor and UK chapter author to Getting the Deal Through: Tax Controversy 2018 and is recognised as a leading practitioner in the International Tax Review: Tax Controversy Leaders Guide, 2018.
Richard is also a partner in our Data Protection and Privacy hub and advises on all aspects of data protection and privacy, including in the context of global investigations or disputes. He was listed in the “40 under 40” by Global Data Review in 2018.
Highlights include advising:
- BT Pension Scheme Trustees on the high profile Part 8 Proceedings in the High Court relating to BT plc’s ability to change the index applicable for the purpose of uprating pension payments and BT plc’s subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal
- Banco Santander Totta in successful litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal relating to the validity of interest rate swaps entered into on ISDA terms between the bank and Portuguese public sector companies. This case was the first case to be heard in the new Financial List in the High Court and the Court of Appeal decision is the leading judgement on the extent to which “mandatory” provisions of foreign law can be applied to English law governed contracts
- a number of multinational groups on contentious tax matters, including in connection with transfer pricing, DPT and CFC issues
- Kroll Associates UK Limited in a major and long-running £500m+ High Court claim brought by a Saudi real estate company and a Bahraini bank over Kroll’s role in advising a client in the Middle East. The case went to trial in March 2015 and settled before the Claimants' witnesses gave evidence
- a major international joint venture on a multi-year transfer pricing dispute
- Standard Chartered in the context of various regulatory investigations, including the multi-jurisdiction data protection and privacy issues arising when dealing with regulatory requirements and requests
- a number of major organisations in connection with possible data breach incidents, including obtaining urgent court orders and advising on subsequent regulatory enforcement
- Hays on its claims for repayment of over £1bn of VAT
- a major global fund on litigation to protect its investment in a potential insolvency
- a FTSE 100 company on overseas regulatory enforcement action and related arbitration proceedings in connection with multi-year franchise arrangements
- a major insurer on the data protection aspects of its health insurance business
- Dexia on successfully establishing the jurisdiction of the English Courts to hear its claims relating to the validity of interest rate swaps on ISDA terms between the bank and the Italian province of Brescia.
Richard is recommended for Commercial Litigation and Banking Litigation in The Legal 500, 2017.
Richard ‘provides constant assurance to clients, explore[s] all relevant different angles and add[s] value to matters’
Legal 500, 2017
List of all our partners