Ian advises on a range of restructuring and insolvency issues and maintains a broad financing practice. He is Head of our Restructuring and Insolvency practice.
Ian has advised a number of companies and directors on complex and high value restructurings, refinancings and insolvencies. He has also advised European governments and central banks on a range of issues, including bank recapitalisation and resolution, new legislative toolkits and the establishment of bad banks/asset management companies.
Ian also regularly advises private equity firms and hedge funds on distressed investments, loan to own strategies and litigation issues.
Recent company side work includes advising:
- Seadrill Limited on its comprehensive restructuring plan and prearranged Chapter 11 cases
- Tata Steel on the restructuring of the £13 billion British Steel Pension scheme
- Carillion plc on its restructuring negotiations and its ultimate entry into liquidation
- Punch Taverns on its successful capital restructuring of £2.3 billion of gross debt
- Premier Foods, Thomas Cook and Royal Imtech on refinancing and restructuring options
- Countrywide plc on its schemes of arrangement and debt restructuring
Recent disclosable work for governments and central banks includes advising:
- HM Treasury on a range of issues in connection with the financial crisis and bank resolution
- the Central Bank of Hungary regarding the possible establishment of an asset management company and State aid considerations
- the Irish government, in conjunction with Arthur Cox, in relation to the restructuring of certain Irish banks
- the Portuguese Ministry of Finance in connection with the recapitalisation of the Portuguese banking sector
- the Central Bank of Cyprus in relation to the landmark "bail-in" of Laiki Bank and The Bank of Cyprus
His recent insolvency work has included advising significant creditors of Phones 4U, the liquidator and special managers of Carillion plc, the administrators of Wonga, and the joint administrators of Lehman Brothers Europe in relation to the settlement of certain unsecured claims.
Ian is ranked in the Restructuring/Insolvency: Elite section of Chambers UK, recommended by The Legal 500 and listed as highly regarded in the IFLR 1000. He is also a member of the City of London Law Society’s Insolvency Committee and the Law Society’s Insolvency Committee.
List of all our partners