Bertrand studied at the London School of Economics (MSc Economics). He joined Slaughter and May in 1992 and became a partner in 2001. He works in both our London and Brussels offices.
Bertrand’s practice spans merger control, competition litigation, market inquiries and competition investigations. He has extensive experience of representing clients before the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).
Current and recent matters include advising:
- Royal Dutch Shell on its acquisition of BG Group, and on the disposal of its Danish downstream business to SFR
- ITV on its acquisitions of Talpa Media and UTV
- Spirit Pub Company on its acquisition by Greene King
- Regus on its acquisition of Avanta
- British Airways in relation to:
- cartel investigations by the European Commission and the OFT, respectively, into air freight (cargo) services and passenger fuel surcharges on long-haul flights
- private actions relating to the cargo and passenger investigations
- A major financial institution on the investigation into trading on the foreign exchange market
- Platts on the European Commission’s investigation into the manipulation of published prices for a number of oil and biofuel products
- Japan Tobacco (Gallaher) on litigation arising out of the OFT’s investigation into the retail pricing of tobacco products
- Nationwide on the CMA’s retail banking investigation
Bertrand is fluent in French. He is listed as a leading individual for EU and Competition law in The Legal 500, 2016 and for Competition Law in Chambers, 2017.
List of all our partners