Oil and Gas
We have had a leading role in the oil and gas sector for many years and our work in this area forms an integral part of our Energy practice.
Our work includes:
- upstream - licence applications, mergers and acquisitions, farm-ins, joint ventures, oil and gas projects and financings, environmental, tax and dispute resolution. We have been involved in the establishment or financing of a large number of projects in the North Sea and a range of other international locations
- mid and downstream - acquisitions, disposals and financings relating to pipelines, gas processing plants and refinery assets. We have acted on a significant number of the largest Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) projects in the world and have one of the leading global practices in this area
- regulatory - we played a leading role in the transformation of the gas sector, having been extensively involved in the privatisation
We have a strong track record of advising governments and private sector clients.
Slaughter and May is 'the best at what it does' The Legal 500, 2012View all Oil and Gas media comments
Our key experience includes advising:
Talisman Energy Inc on the proposed sale of a 49% interest in Talisman Energy (UK) Limited (TEUK) to Sinopec for US$1.5 billion.
on the financing of the Egyptian Refinery Company's Mostorod Oil Refinery Project, which is the largest ever project financing in Africa, comprising US$2.6 billion in debt and a further US$1.1 billion in equity.
PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited on a recommended cash offer for Cove Energy PLC for approximately £1,221.4 million.
INEOS on a framework agreement with PetroChina, China’s largest listed oil and gas producer, to form a partnership in new trading and refining joint ventures related to the refining operations in Grangemouth (Scotland) and Lavéra (France).
First Reserve Corporation on the recommended cash acquisition of CHC Helicopter Corporation for approximately Canadian $3.7 billion.
on a large number of LNG projects across the world, including MLNG1, MLNG2, Woodside, OLNG, QLNG, Qatargas, QG4, ELNG 1 and 2.
on petrochemical and refinery transactions including the Qatar/Shell GTL project, EMethanex, the Rayong Refinery and the Bapco Refinery.
on various pipeline transactions, including the UK Interconnector, the IPI project and the acquisition by Star Capital Partners of TotalFinaElf Pipelines.
Reliance Industries, the largest private sector company in India, on its acquisition of a majority stake in, and management control of, Gulf Africa Petroleum Corporation (GAPCO), a group with a significant presence in East Africa in the downstream petroleum retail sector.
Centrica on the acquisition by its wholly-owned subsidiary, Centrica Resources (UK) Limited, of a stake of approximately 22% in Venture Production.
Eni S.p.A. on the acquisition of Distrigas NV/SA from Suez-Tractebel SA for EUR 2,738.88 million.
Our clients include:
- African Development Bank
- Aker Solutions ASA
- Centrica Plc
- Maersk FPSOS
- Premier Oil Plc
- PTT Exploration and Production
- Shell International Limited
- Talisman Energy Inc.
- Vitol SA
- Wood Group