Tim is a senior counsel in our Financial Regulation Group and member of our Financial Institutions Group. His practice incorporates transactional and non-transactional work for both financial and (traditionally) non-financial institutions.
He has particular expertise in banking, securities, derivatives and cryptoassets regulation and regularly advises UK, European and international clients on this regulation in relation to capital requirements and transactional structuring, regulatory change projects and the establishment and authorisation of new financial services businesses.
He also advises a number of regulated and unregulated fintech entities at different stages of their development on a range of matters such as the scope of the UK regulatory perimeter, including when regulatory permission is required and how best to structure a group to ensure regulatory efficiency.
Tim is recognised as a ‘Rising Star’ in the ‘Financial services: Non-contentious Regulatory’ section of Legal 500 and writes extensively on UK regulatory developments, including those affecting the Fintech sector and, in particular, on the UK’s fast-moving and complex regulation developing in the cryptoassets sector.
Recent highlights include advising:
- Allianz on its agreement with Sanlam, the largest African non-banking financial services company, to combine their current and future African operations (excluding South Africa)
- HM Treasury on the establishment of a new UK Infrastructure Bank;
- Standard Chartered on the establishment of an institutionally-focused cryptoasset exchange and brokerage platform and a new digital retail investment platform focused on sustainable projects (he also acted as the venture’s general counsel on secondment); and
- a major UK retail and investment bank on its operation and compliance with the UK ring-fencing regime on an ongoing basis, following the bank’s large-scale restructuring undertaken to comply with the regime (on which Tim also advised)
- SC Ventures, Standard Chartered’s innovation-focused business development platform, on the launch of Shoal, a new digital retail investment platform focused on sustainable investments
- a leading UK investment manager on the potential establishment of a new investment management function, intended to provide fund management services to institutional investors and pension schemes
- a fast-growing UK cryptoassets entity, on the establishment, and registration with relevant UK and EU regulators, of a new crypto asset utility platform
- a number of financial and non-financial institutions on their implementation of the FCA’s new Consumer Duty.
“Tim Fosh…demonstrated depth of knowledge and understanding of evolving businesses applied to existing regulatory frameworks. Built his understanding of our business and leveraged the team…to provide cohesive and coherent advice and guidance.” Legal 500 2023