Areas of expertise
Slaughter and May is advising Aggreko plc on its recommended cash acquisition by a consortium comprising I Squared Capital and TDR Capital
Slaughter and May is advising Merlin Entertainments on a recommended cash offer for Merlin’s entire issued and to be issued share capital
Steve is the Senior Partner of the firm. He headed our Mergers and Acquisitions practice from 2001 to 2016. He has a general corporate and M&A and investigations practice, with particular experience in takeover bids and other Stock Exchange related work.
Steve acts for a number of listed companies including FTSE 100 clients Aviva, Barratt Developments, BAT, Centrica, Diageo, Hikma Pharmaceuticals, International Airlines Group, Reckitt Benckiser, Rolls-Royce and WPP and FTSE 250 clients Big Yellow Group, Morgan Advanced Materials, Morgan Sindall and Spectris.
Highlights include advising:
- The Walt Disney Company on its acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox and on its involvement in the takeover battle for Sky plc
- Rolls-Royce on its investigation by the SFO, DoJ and MPF and subsequent Deferred Prosecution Agreements and on its 2020 rights issue and recapitalisation package
- BAT on its investigation by the SFO
- ARM Holdings on the offer by SoftBank
- Cadbury on the hostile offer by Kraft
- Shire on the offer by Abbvie
- Autonomy on the offer by Hewlett-Packard
- British Airways on its merger with Iberia and its abortive merger with Qantas
- Cazenove on the merger of its investment banking business with J P Morgan
- PSA on its offer for P&O
- Songbird on its offer for Canary Wharf
- The takeovers/mergers of former ITV companies LWT, Thames, Westcountry, HTV and Carlton
- Westland on its 1986 restructuring
Steve worked in our former New York office from 1989 to 1990. He is the author of ‘Takeovers’ (PLC Publications 1997).