Philip has a broad banking and finance practice advising corporates, financial sponsors and financial institutions on a wide range of financing transactions including acquisition and leveraged financings, corporate loans, debt capital market transactions, derivatives and restructurings. In particular, Philip advises the treasury departments of a number of large multi-national corporations on their financing transactions and the corporate aspects of these.
Philip’s clients are based in the UK and across the world. They include Arsenal Football Club, Akzo Nobel, BHP Billiton, Eesti Energia, GE, Greencore Group, Homeserve, JCB, Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company, Morgan Stanley Real Estate funds, Naspers, Premier Oil, Songbird Estates and Terra Firma.
Highlights include advising:
- BHP Billiton on various financing transactions including on its US$45 billion financing for its offer for Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. and on its US$7.5 billion financing for its successful offer for Petrohawk Energy Corporation and in relation to various bond issues totalling more than EUR6.5 billion or its equivalent
- Vodafone on the financing aspects of its agreement to dispose of its 45% interest in Verizon Wireless for a total consideration of US$130 billion
- Global Infrastructure Partners on the financing for its acquisition of Edinburgh Airport
- Terra Firma on various transactions including new credit facilities for Infinis as part of its IPO and on a £140 million refinancing of Phoenix Natural Gas
- AkzoNobel on various financing transactions including on its EUR1.8 billion revolving credit facility and bond issues totalling more than EUR3.5 billion or its equivalent
- GE and Cembra Money Bank on new credit facilities of CHF1.45 billion
- Barratt Developments and London & Quadrant on new £120 million credit facilities for their new residential development joint venture
- Bank of America and Credit Suisse as arrangers on the £3.6 billion credit facilities to support PPL Corporation’s acquisition of Central Networks, the UK electricity distribution business
- Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company k.s.c. (Kufpec) on its new US$750 million credit facilities
- Naspers on its recent US$2,250,000,000 refinancing
Philip is named as a leading individual in Banking & Finance in Chambers UK, 2017, Chambers Europe, 2016 and Chambers Global, 2016. He is also listed in the Bank lending section of the 2013 Edition of IFLR 1000’s Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms. He is author of the 'Association of Corporate Treasurers' Guide to the LMA Leveraged Loan Agreement'.