Charlton is experienced in advising companies and financial institutions on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions and regulatory matters.
Recently, he has advised on a number of M&A transactions involving companies listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, including the following:
- General offer for shares in Clear Media, acting for JCDecaux, a consortium member of the offeror
- Privatisation of Huaneng Renewables Corporation Limited by China Huaneng Group by way of a general offer, acting for CLSA, the financial adviser to the offeror
- Delisting of China Power Clean Energy by way of a scheme of arrangement, acting for China Power New Energy, the offeror
- United Energy Group’s acquisition of Kuwait Energy plc by way of a scheme of arrangement
- China Power International Development’s acquisitions of clean energy project companies from its parent group, and the related financing by rights issue
- Merger of China National Building Material (CNBM) with China National Materials Group (Sinoma) through a merger by absorption
- Privatisation of Chinalco Mining Corporation International by Aluminum Corporation of China Overseas Holdings by way of a scheme of arrangement
- General offer by China Orient Asset Management International for shares in Shanghai Zendai Property Limited
- General offer for shares in China XLX Fertiliser made by its controlling shareholder, acting for CITIC Securities, the financial adviser to the offeror
Charlton has advised listing applicants and sponsors in connection with listings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange since 1997. Since joining Slaughter and May in 2013, he has completed six Hong Kong IPOs.
In addition, Charlton regularly advises Hong Kong-listed companies on compliance with the listing rules.
Prior to joining Slaughter and May, Charlton worked as a Counsel in a US law firm, and before that as the head of Asia ex-Japan transaction legal team at Nomura with an additional licensed role of Responsible Officer for advising on corporate finance.
Charlton read law at the University of Cambridge and is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and Hong Kong. He was awarded the CFA Charter in 2010. He speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
He is ranked as a Highly Regarded Lawyer in the IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific for Capital Markets: Equity and M&A and has been since 2018.