Charlton is experienced in advising companies and financial institutions on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions and regulatory matters.
His experience includes advising:
- United Energy Group in relation to its acquisition of Kuwait Energy plc for cash consideration of up to approximately US$650 million
- China Power International Development in relation to its acquisitions of the entire interests in certain clean energy project companies from CPI Holding
- China National Building Material Company in relation to its merger by absorption of China National Materials Company through share exchange
- Alibaba Group in relation to its acquisition, through its indirect wholly-owned subsidiary Taobao China Holding, of an economic interest in Sun Art Retail Group, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Chinalco Mining Corporation International in relation to its privatisation by Aluminum Corporation of China Overseas Holdings by way of a scheme of arrangement
- Singbridge International Singapore on its formation of a real estate joint venture with China Merchants Land
- China Orient Asset Management on the general offer for shares of Shanghai Zendai Property Limited
- CITIC Securities on the general offer it made on behalf of a controlling shareholder of China XLX Fertiliser Ltd. (China XLX) for shares of China XLX
- Bupa on its exclusive distribution agreement with Hang Seng Bank
- Vodafone on Hong Kong securities regulations in connection with the sale of its US group to Verizon Communications Inc.
- China Resources Gas Group Limited on the proposed merger with China Resources Power Holdings Company Limited to form one flagship energy group under China Resources (Holdings) Company Limited
Prior to joining Slaughter and May in 2013, Charlton worked for a US law firm and before that as in-house counsel for Nomura.
Charlton read law at the University of Cambridge and is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and Hong Kong. He speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
He is ranked as a Highly Regarded Lawyer in the 2019 edition of IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific for Capital Markets and M&A.