Ben is a partner in our Financial Regulation Group and a member of our Financial Institutions Group. He has been recognised as a leading individual in the ‘Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory’ section of Chambers UK. He advises both financial institutions and non-regulated firms on the UK and EU financial regulatory aspects of a broad range of matters.
In particular, Ben has considerable experience in advising on the UK and international anti-money laundering and financial sanctions regimes. He edits the Thomson Reuters publication, 'A Practitioner's Guide to the UK Financial Services Rulebooks', co-authors the UK chapter of Getting the Deal Through’s 'Banking Regulation' publication, and writes a regular banking and investment services column for PLC Financial Services.
Ben also co-heads our fintech practice, and in this role he advises a broad range of established financial institutions, technology, media and telco groups, challenger organisations, and fintech start-ups, including through the firm’s Fast Forward legal incubation programme. Ben is a contributing editor of The International Comparative Legal Guide to Fintech, as well as The Legal 500’s Blockchain Country Comparative Guide. He is recognised by The Legal 500 as a leading individual within its ‘Fintech’ section.
Recent highlights include advising:
- Standard Life on the Brexit-related transfer of European life business from the UK to EU27 and related operational reorganisations
- UK Asset Resolution Limited in relation to the disposal of two separate portfolios of residential owner-occupied mortgages and unsecured loans
- Bupa on its reorganisation of Bupa’s European operations in connection with Brexit
- Handelsbanken on the transfer of Handelsbanken’s UK branch business to a newly formed subsidiary bank by way of a banking business Part VII scheme
- Credit Karma, the US fintech, on the acquisition of Noddle and related regulatory engagement topics
- Stripe on the PSD analysis and regulatory positioning of a number of new product developments
- TrueLayer, the Open Banking fintech, on a range of regulatory, capital and product topics
“He approaches things with an open mind and is very solutions-driven" Chambers UK 2020