Andy was Head of our Corporate and M&A Practice from 2014 to 2022 and continues to head one of the three corporate groups. He is active in all fields of corporate law, with a particular emphasis on acquisitions and disposals, public takeovers and mergers, stock exchange matters and equity capital markets transactions. Andy was named Client Partner of the Year at The Lawyer Awards 2015, was one of five lawyers shortlisted by Financial News for its Partner of the Year Award 2016 and was named as one of the Twenty Most Influential in Legal Services in Europe by Financial News in 2021.
His clients include:
- FTSE 100 companies such as DS Smith and RSA
- other listed companies such as Direct Line, Domino’s Pizza, Ibstock, Intermediate Capital Group, International Personal Finance, IWG (formerly Regus), Marlowe, Marshalls, Non-Standard Finance, Reach and Vitec
- multinationals such as GE, Moody's, Schneider Electric and Texas Instruments
Highlights include advising:
- RSA on its fully underwritten rights issue to raise £773 million, on the proposed bid for it by Zurich Insurance and subsequently on the £7.2bn recommended cash offer for RSA made by a subsidiary of Intact Financial Corporation, acting in consortium with Tryg A/S
- GW Pharmaceuticals plc on its US$7.2bn recommended acquisition by Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
- Marlowe on its hostile bid for Restore
- Marshalls plc on its acquisition of Marley Group plc and the related equity financing arrangements.
- RPC Group Plc in connection with a recommended £3.3bn cash offer for RPC’s share capital by funds managed by Apollo and then on the successful competing offer by Berry Global
- Non-Standard Finance on its initial public offering and subsequently on its reverse takeovers of Loansathome4u and Everyday Loans and readmission to listing on the London Stock Exchange
- Non-Standard Finance (NSF) on its hostile takeover offer for Provident Financial
- DS Smith on its acquisition by public takeover of Europac and related rights issue
- Domino’s Pizza on an activist situation
- BBA Aviation on its acquisition of Landmark Aviation and related rights issue and debt financing
- Ladbrokes on its £2.3bn merger with Gala Coral
- Cembra Money Bank AG (formerly GE Money Bank AG), a leading Swiss bank, and GE Capital Swiss Funding AG on the initial public offering of the majority of Cembra's shares
- MONETA Money Bank, a.s. (formerly GE Money Bank, a.s.), a leading retail and SME bank in the Czech Republic, and GE Capital International Holdings Limited on the initial public offering (IPO) of the majority of Moneta's shares and then the subsequent sell-downs
- IWG (formerly Regus) on the various takeover proposals made to it during 2018 and on equity and convertible capital raisings since then and on their programme to divest businesses into franchise arrangements
- Charter International plc on a hostile offer by Melrose plc and a subsequent recommended offer by Colfax Inc
- Direct Line Insurance Group plc on its initial public offering of ordinary shares and separation from RBS Group and on the sale of its international division to Mapfre
- Wonga on the various matters leading to it being placed into administration.
Andy is named as a leading individual for 'Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability' in both Chambers UK, 2021 and Chambers Europe, 2021; and for Corporate/M&A in Chambers Global, 2021.