William’s practice covers all UK taxes relevant to corporate and financing transactions.
Particular areas of interest include real estate and the oil and gas sector. However, William also has extensive experience of M&A, demergers and other corporate structuring, private equity and debt and equity financing and in recent years he has built up a substantial (and, to date, successful) tax litigation practice.
Highlights include advising:
- Canary Wharf on its conversion to a REIT and the restructuring required to achieve that
- Landsec on the first ever “B share” scheme implemented by a REIT
- HitecVision and Petrogas on their acquisition of North Sea assets from Total
- HM Treasury on the introduction of decommissioning relief deeds and the impact of changes in North Sea taxation
- Global Infrastructure Partners on the sale of just over 50% of Gatwick Airport to Vinci S.A.
- Mylan on its combination with Pfizer’s Upjohn business
- Pension Insurance Corporation on the first issue by an insurance subsidiary of Restricted Tier 1 debt under new tax rules
- Bupa Insurance Ltd on its appeal to the Upper Tribunal in a case concerning tax grouping and beneficial ownership
- William H Reeves on his appeal to the Upper Tribunal on the grounds, inter alia, of a breach of the Human Rights Act
William is listed as a leading individual in the Tax section of Chambers UK, Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, 2019. William is also listed in the latest edition of ITR's Tax Controversy Leaders Guide and in Who's Who Legal, 2019 and is recommended for Corporate Tax in The Legal 500, 2019. He is the Contributing Editor for 'The International Comparative Legal Guide to Corporate Tax', published annually by the Global Legal Group.
List of all our partners