William was educated at Cambridge and Oxford universities. He joined Slaughter and May in 2006 and became a partner in 2016. He is based in London, but spends a significant amount of his time in Brussels.
William has extensive experience in a wide range of competition and regulatory matters. He has been involved in a number of major cartel and other behavioural cases, including global antitrust investigations. He has also acted on a number of high-profile merger cases before the EU and UK competition authorities. In addition, he has significant experience in the fields of competition litigation and State aid.
Highlights include advising:
- Deutsche Bank in the context of the multiple investigations into the setting of interbank offered benchmark rates and associated competition litigation
- Vodafone on the mergers of its Dutch business with that of Liberty Global and its Indian business with that of Idea
- GE on the disposal of its equipment finance and businesses in France and Germany to Banque Fédérative du Crédit Mutuel
- Compagnie Financière Richemont on the merger of Net-A-Porter and Yoox
- Spirit on its takeover by Greene King
- Essentra on the disposal of its porous technologies business
- Catlin in relation to its acquisition by XL Group
- Brit in relation to its acquisition by Fairfax Financial Holdings
- HM Treasury on competition and State aid aspects of its interventions in relation to Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley.
William was identified as a ‘future leader’ by Who’s Who Legal: Competition (2017).
List of all our partners