Joined firm: 1986
Partner since: 1996
- One Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YY
Stephen is the Deputy Head of our Financing practice. He advises on loans, acquisition finance, general banking, capital markets and a wide range of corporate treasury work. Areas include securitisation, structured finance, derivatives, project finance and leasing and other asset finance techniques. He advises corporate treasury departments and banks on a wide range of financing transactions and their corporate aspects.
Stephen's clients are based in the UK and across Europe. They include Aviva, Barratt Developments, Diageo, Electrolux, Ericsson, FirstGroup, MAN, Metsäliitto, Nordea, Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, Umeco and Zurich Financial Services. In particular he focuses on the Nordic countries (having spent time based in Sweden).
Highlights include advising:
- Thomas Cook Group plc on a £1.6 billion capital refinancing plan
- Barratt Developments PLC, on its entry into a 50/50 joint venture, Rose Shared Equity LLP, with a fund managed by Anchorage Capital Group LLC
- Barratt Developments on its complete debt refinancing package
- Diageo on its transaction to acquire up to 53.4% in United Spirits Limited, the leading spirits company in India
- Everything Everywhere Limited in relation to the issue of EUR 600 million 3.250% notes by its subsidiary Everything Everywhere Finance plc under its £3 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme
Stephen is listed as a leading individual in the Capital Markets: Securitisation section in the 2010 edition of Chambers UK, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe and in the 2011 edition of the International Who’s Who of Banking Lawyers. He is also listed in the Bank lending section of IFLR 1000, 2013. Stephen is Co-chair of the Banking Law Committee of the IBA.
List of all our partners