Joined firm: 1986
Partner since: 1996
- One Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YY
Stephen is the Deputy Head of our Financing practice. He advises on loans, acquisition finance, general banking, capital markets and a wide range of corporate treasury work. Areas include securitisation, structured finance, derivatives, project finance and leasing and other asset finance techniques. He advises corporate treasury departments and banks on a wide range of financing transactions and their corporate aspects.
Stephen's clients are based in the UK and across Europe. They include Aviva, Barratt Developments, Diageo, Electrolux, Ericsson, FirstGroup, MAN, Metsäliitto, Nordea, Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, Umeco and Zurich Financial Services. In particular he focuses on the Nordic countries (having spent time based in Sweden).
Highlights include advising:
- Umeco on the proposed sale of Pattonair
- Barratt Developments on its complete debt refinancing package
- FirstGroup in relation to the issue of its US$150,000,000 private placement notes to Pricoa Capital Group
- Luminar Group Holdings in relation to the refinancing of its bank facilities with its existing lending syndicate
- Diageo on a contribution of £367 million to its defined benefit pension scheme and a subsequent investment of £367 million by the scheme
Stephen is listed as a leading individual in the Capital Markets: Securitisation section in the 2010 edition of Chambers UK, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe and in the 2011 edition of the International Who’s Who of Banking Lawyers. He is Co-chair of the Banking Law Committee of the IBA.
List of all our partners