Joined firm: 1977
Partner since: 1986
- One Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YY
Ruth is Head of our Financial Regulation Group which she was instrumental in establishing. Her practice covers a wide range of commercial transactions. Her experience includes advising:
- financial institutions on regulatory developments in the UK and Europe, the regulatory aspects of disposals and acquisitions and on the application of the FSMA and consumer credit regimes
- both banks and borrowers on innovative funding structures
- building societies in relation to demutualisations
- corporate trustees on high profile and complex capital market issues
Ruth's clients include financial market infra-structure providers as well as banks, investment firms and insurance companies. She also has extensive experience of working closely with regulators and with other senior professionals in the regulatory field.
Highlights include advising:
- Santander UK on a wide range of transactions, including its attempted acquisition of selected RBS and NatWest branches, and on a number of residential mortgage backed securitisations and other financings
- Close Brothers Group on the disposal of its UK offshore businesses, and on the acquisition of the retail structured deposit book of Dunbar Bank plc
- Euroclear on the UK regulatory aspects of its business
Ruth is listed as a leading individual in the 'Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory' section of Chambers UK, 2013 and in the 'Financial services (non-contentious/regulatory) section of The Legal 500, 2012.
She was awarded 'Best in financial regulation' at IFLR's 'Euromoney LMG Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2012'.
Ruth is a member of the Bank of England’s Financial Markets Law Committee.
List of all our partners