Richard is a partner in our Dispute Resolution Group and co-head of our Global Investigations group. He has a broad-ranging international commercial litigation, arbitration, and investigations practice. Areas of particular expertise include corporate crime and sanctions work, banking litigation and investigations, and competition litigation. Richard represents clients in complex, high-value proceedings and has managed significant regulatory and criminal investigations often with parallel UK and US aspects. He spent three years working in our Hong Kong office advising on a range of commercial disputes throughout the South East Asia region.
Highlights include advising:
- Rolls-Royce on investigations into allegations of bribery and corruption conducted by the UK SFO, the US DoJ and the Brazilian MPF and the resolution of those investigations by way of deferred prosecution agreements in the UK and US and a leniency agreement in Brazil. UK deferred prosecution agreement was just the third (and by far the largest) such agreement and the first to be concluded concurrently with the resolution of non-UK investigations
- Standard Chartered (SCB) in relation to its agreements with the US DoJ, the New York County District Attorney’s Office, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, and the Office of Foreign Assets Control, which include a total penalty of US$327 million announced in December 2012 and SCB’s agreement in August 2012 with the New York State Department of Financial Services, in relation to the same global sanctions investigation, pursuant to which SCB agreed to pay a civil money penalty of US$340 million
- GSK plc in relation to sanctions and corruption investigations by the UK (SFO) and US (SEC and Department of Justice) law enforcement bodies into the supply of goods into Iraq under the UN Oil-for-Food programme
- British Airways in relation to DoJ and European Commission investigations into an alleged air cargo cartel, and subsequent follow-on damages actions in the UK courts, Emerald Supplies Ltd v British Airways  EWHC 741 (ch)
- RWE Aktiengesellschaft, a leading European utility group, in its successful defence of a US$1.4 billion damages claim, subject to LCIA arbitration, brought by the Russian Sintez Group, owned by Senator Leonid Lebedev
- JP Morgan Chase in relation to US, UK and Jersey criminal and regulatory investigations arising out of the collapse of Enron, and subsequent litigation in the UK (Mahonia Ltd and JP Morgan Chase Bank v West LB  EWHC 1938 (COMM))
Richard is recommended for Financial Crime (Corporates) in Chambers UK, 2018. He is recognised as a leading individual for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime, and Competition Litigation, and is also recommended for Banking Litigation, Commercial Litigation in The Legal 500, 2017. He is also included as a Foreign Expert - USA for Litigation in Chambers Global, 2015.
Richard is, ‘easy to work with, and has real authority and experience’
Chambers UK, 2018
Richard ‘confronts challenging legal issues head-on’
Legal 500, 2017
List of all our partners