Nilufer is Head of the Financial Institutions Group and of the Equity Capital Markets practice at Slaughter and May. She has a wide corporate, commercial and financing practice, with a corporate client base ranging from large to small listed and unlisted companies. Her practice includes private and public M&A, joint ventures, IPOs and other UKLA work, financings, equity and debt capital markets transactions and corporate governance.
She has worked in a range of industries, including financial services, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare, infrastructure, retail and media.
- UK Green Investment Bank (GIB) on its privatisation and subsequent sale to Macquarie Bank at an approximate value of £2.3 billion. As part of the acquisition, Macquarie committed to upholding GIB’s green purposes, protected by a ‘special share’ issued to an independent trustee group
- HM Treasury on the initially proposed divestment of RBS’s UK retail and SME banking business, Williams & Glyn, and the ultimate c.£800 million alternative State aid remedies package of agreed with the European Commission to meet the latter’s State aid requirements in relation to its £46 billion bail-out of RBS following the financial crisis
- A major UK retail and investment bank on bank structural reform and the reorganisation and restructuring of the bank required to comply with the new UK ring-fencing regime, due to come into operation on 1 January 2019
- UKFI on its disposal of approximately 6% of Lloyds Banking Group for £3.2 billion
- HM Treasury on the assessment of whether to separate RBS into a good bank and a bad bank
- Lagardère on the sale of its entire stake in EADS for approximately EUR 2.28 billion
- the Portuguese Ministry of Finance on the EUR1.4 billion recapitalisation of the Portuguese bank Banif - Banco Internacional do Funchal, S.A. as well as similar recapitalisations of three other banks (Banco Comercial Português, S.A., Banco BPI, S.A. and Caixa Geral de Depósitos, S.A.) completed by the Portuguese Republic in 2012
Nilufer is listed for M&A in The Legal 500, 2017 and as a leading lawyer in the Capital Markets – Equity section of IFLR1000, 2017. Nilufer was awarded ‘Best in capital markets – equity’ by Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Europe Women in Business Law Awards in 2013 and 2014. Nilufer was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in the New Year 2018 Honours List for services to financial services.
Nilufer has contributed the UK section in the Kluwer Law International best-selling publication entitled ‘Corporate Acquisitions and Mergers’.
List of all our partners