Nick has extensive experience in major litigation and arbitration, both domestic and international, handling complex and substantial disputes and seeking their effective and efficient resolution in whatever way is in the best interests of the client. His work includes disputes arising out of banking transactions, infrastructure, energy and natural resources, share and asset sale and purchase agreements, IT and outsourcing disputes, joint ventures and in proceedings before the Commissioners of H.M. Revenue & Customs.
A large proportion of Nick’s work, whether in the litigation or arbitration field, is international in nature. He deals with complex jurisdictional issues as well as co-ordinating litigation in different parts of the world including France, Italy, India, Russia and a number of countries in the Middle East and in Africa.
His recent work includes advising:
- Landsbanki in a £150 million banking dispute with Rabobank in the English High Court
- a major Russian Bank in a EUR 250 million dispute with an Austrian Bank in LCIA arbitration proceedings
- a German steel company in ICC arbitration proceedings with an Indian steel company relating to the supply of steel manufacturing equipment
- a Russian steel company in a EUR 150 million dispute with a German steel company relating to the supply of steel plates in ICC arbitration proceedings
- Impregilo S.p.A. (& others) v. Lesotho Highlands Development Authority in the leading House of Lords case concerning the ability of the courts to interfere with arbitral awards
- a major Canadian oil corporation in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings with a joint venture partner in relation to oil fields in South America
Nick is ranked as a leading individual for Litigation in Chambers UK, 2017. He is also recommended for Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration in The Legal 500, 2016.
Nick is a Fellow of Hughes Hall, Cambridge. He is a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association Committee and of the London Court of International Arbitration. He is also Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Scene & Heard, winner of the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service.
List of all our partners