Joined firm: 1988
Partner since: 1996
Download contact details
- One Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YY
Nick has extensive experience in major litigation and arbitration, both domestic and international, handling complex and substantial disputes and seeking their effective and efficient resolution in whatever way is in the best interests of the client. His work includes disputes arising out of banking transactions, share and asset sale and purchase agreements, oil and gas industry agreements, insurance disputes, IT and outsourcing disputes, pensions, joint ventures and in proceedings before the Commissioners of H.M. Revenue & Customs.
A large proportion of Nick’s work, whether in the litigation or arbitration field, is international in nature. He deals with complex jurisdictional issues as well as co-ordinating litigation in different parts of the world including France, Italy, India, Russia and a number of countries in the Middle East and in Africa.
His recent work includes advising:
- Cadbury, on various outsourcing disputes, including on the exit of its telecommunications outsourcing arrangement with BT
- a number of clients in relation to the US and UK Iranian sanctions regimes
- Impregilo S.p.A. (& others) v. Lesotho Highlands Development Authority in the leading House of Lords case concerning the ability of the courts to interfere with arbitral awards
- a major Swedish bank in a major SCC arbitration arising out of pensions mis-selling
- SEB Trygg Holding AB v. AMB Generali Holding AG in disputes concerning ratification of arbitration proceedings and issues of warranty of authority
- Talisman Energy v. H.M. Revenue & Customs in a major corporation tax dispute
- a major Canadian oil corporation in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings with a joint venture partner in relation to oil fields in South America
Nick is named as a leading individual in the Dispute Resolution sections of Chambers UK, 2013, Chambers Europe, 2012 and Chambers Global, 2013. He is recommended by The Legal 500, 2012 for Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration.
Nick is a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association Committee and of the London Court of International Arbitration. He is also Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Scene & Heard.
List of all our partners