- One Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YY
Nick has a broad-ranging international arbitration and litigation practice, representing clients in complex, high-value, multi-jurisdictional disputes. He also sits as an arbitrator in major international disputes. Areas of particular expertise include energy, energy-related, commodities and banking disputes.
Nick’s clients include leading corporates and banks as well as sovereign governments and international organisations. His focus is on resolving cases effectively and efficiently in whatever way is in the best interests of the client.
Nick is particularly recognised for his expertise in handling disputes in the Middle East and India. He also regularly co-ordinates litigation across multiple jurisdictions as well as advising on asset-tracing cases, the obtaining of injunctive relief in various jurisdictions, and the enforcement of judgments and arbitration awards through foreign courts.
Highlights include advising:
- an international oil exploration and production company with arbitral disputes in respect of offshore oilfields against a West African Government and others
- a Sri Lankan subsidiary of a major US corporation in relation to contractual disputes and potential claims arising in connection with the construction of a power plant in Sri Lanka with arbitrations in Sri Lanka and Singapore
- Alliance Bank of Kazakhstan on the obtaining of a freezing order and related disclosure orders from the English High Court against 15 defendants in various jurisdictions who are alleged to have conspired to orchestrate a US$1.1 billion fraud against Alliance Bank, and related arbitrations
- a major grain importer in China in an arbitration in London under the FOSFA rules pertaining to the supply of substantial quantities of grain from Brazil to China
- a French telecoms company seeking to enforce an arbitration award obtained in an LCIA arbitration in London through the Indian courts
- Gallaher Group Plc in relation to a US$700 million plus multi-jurisdictional dispute with a former distributor (jurisdictions involved included the Lebanon, Cyprus, Yemen and the Netherlands)
Nick is listed as a leading individual for International Arbitration in The Legal 500, 2013, where he is also recommended for Commercial Litigation and Banking Litigation. He is named as a leading individual for Banking Litigation in Chambers UK, 2012, and was ranked in the top tier for Dispute Resolution by Chambers UK, 2014, Chambers Europe, 2013 and Chambers Global, 2013. In addition, he is ranked as one of the leading Overseas Counsel for India in the 2011 edition of Chambers Asia and 2013 edition of Chambers Global. Nick is listed as one of Chambers' Top 100 for 2013.
Nick is a member of the International Bar Association and the Indian Council of Arbitration.
List of all our partners