Ian has a broad financing practice which includes a significant amount of restructuring and insolvency-related work. He is Head of our Restructuring and Insolvency practice.
Ian has advised a number of companies and directors on complex and high value restructurings, refinancings and insolvencies. He has also advised European governments and central banks on a range of issues, including bank recapitalisation and resolution, new legislative toolkits and the establishment of bad banks/asset management companies.
Ian also regularly advises private equity firms and hedge funds on distressed investments, loan to own strategies and litigation issues.
Recent company side work includes advising:
- Punch Taverns on its successful capital restructuring of £2.3 billion of gross debt
- Premier Foods, Thomas Cook and Royal Imtech on refinancing and restructuring options
- Countrywide plc on its schemes of arrangement and debt restructuring
- Jarvis plc on its financial restructuring negotiations and debt for equity swap
- General Motors UK on matters connected with the Chapter 11 filing by General Motors Corporation and the restructuring of General Motors Europe
Recent disclosable work for governments and central banks includes advising:
- HM Treasury on a range of issues in connection with the financial crisis and bank resolution
- the Irish government, in conjunction with Arthur Cox, in relation to the restructuring of certain Irish banks
- the Portuguese Ministry of Finance in connection with the recapitalisation of the Portuguese banking sector
- the Central Bank of Cyprus in relation to the landmark "bail-in" of Laiki Bank and The Bank of Cyprus
His recent insolvency work has included advising significant creditors of Phones 4U and London Mining, the directors of Jarvis and TAG Energy and the joint administrators of Lehman Brothers Europe in relation to the settlement of certain unsecured claims.
Ian is listed as a recognised practitioner in the Restructuring/Insolvency: Elite section of Chambers UK, 2015 and in the Financial News’ 40 under 40 Rising Stars in Legal Services, 2013. He is also a member of the City of London Law Society’s Insolvency Committee and the Law Society’s Insolvency Committee.
List of all our partners