Ewan has a broad-ranging international commercial litigation and arbitration practice, with a focus on financial institutions work and oil and gas disputes. Particular areas of expertise include banking and tax litigation, follow-on claims, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings.
Highlights include advising:
- Olympus in relation to investigations by regulators in several jurisdictions into certain transactions entered into by Olympus which are now thought to have been part of a scheme (known as a 'tobashi' scheme) used to hide investment losses over a number of years
- Nationwide Building Society in the high-profile test case proceedings brought by the OFT against the eight leading current account providers to determine the validity of unarranged overdraft charges
- an international oil exploration and production company in relation to various disputes, subject to ICSID and ICC arbitration, regarding the exploitation and enjoyment of certain offshore oilfield interests
- The Reed Group on appeals against HMRC tax assessments relating to income tax and national insurance contributions and in connected judicial review proceedings
- a FTSE 100 financial services company in relation to an FSA investigation and its defence to FSA enforcement proceedings
- Ericsson Limited on its successful claim against Hutchinson 3G UK Limited (H3G) in relation to aspects of Ericsson’s managed services arrangements with H3G
Ewan is ranked as a leading individual for Banking Litigation and Litigation in Chambers UK, 2016. He is also recognised as a leading individual for Banking Litigation and Financial Services (Contentious) in The Legal 500, 2015.
Ewan is our Diversity and Inclusion Partner with responsibility for promoting diversity and inclusion in all areas of the firm.
List of all our partners