Damian advises on a range of litigation, international arbitration and investigations for a diverse range of clients, including sovereign governments and agencies, banks, investment managers and other financial services institutions. He has a particular interest in energy, insurance, pensions and fraud disputes as part of his very wide ranging practice.
Damian sits on the firm's Africa Practice Group and helps develop the firm's practice in Africa, as well as acting for African clients and clients investing in Africa.
Highlights include advising:
- Granada Group Ltd (a subsidiary of ITV plc) in proceedings in the High Court and Court of Appeal against the Trustee of the Granada pension scheme concerning whether Granada is obliged to maintain gilts as security for the pension benefits of certain former directors
- ForteBank, one of Kazakhstan’s largest banks, in US$1bn+ fraud claim in the English Commercial Court against its former controlling shareholders and their related entities, and in related international arbitrations, including the international enforcement of a US$600m LCIA award and separate proceedings in the Cypriot courts
- Fortress Investment Group in High Court proceedings against third party fund managers for conspiracy and causing loss by unlawful means. Assets were protected pending trial as a result of our successful application by Fortress for injunctive relief, the claim settled shortly prior to trial
- The Serious Fraud Office, the independent UK government department responsible for investigating complex fraud and other financial crime, in its defence against claims brought by the Tchenguiz brothers for alleged trespass, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and misfeasance in public office. The claims are reportedly one of the highest ever brought against a UK law enforcement agency
- Equitas/Resolute in its High Court proceedings regarding its pursuit of multiple, substantial, and complex reinsurance claims against its reinsurer, R&Q Reinsurance Company (UK) Limited arising out of historic LMX spiral losses flowing from the loss of British Airways and Kuwait Airlines planes during the First Gulf War and the Exxon Valdez oil spill
List of all our partners