Clara is an experienced M&A and capital markets lawyer who has worked on a wide range of transactions in private and public M&A and equity and debt capital markets.
Her recent experience includes advising:
- HNA Group on its acquisition of a 25% stake in Hilton from Blackstone for US$6.5 billion (as international counsel)
- HNA Group on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Tysan Holdings from Blackstone and the subsequent mandatory general offer for Tysan Holdings
- Alibaba Group on its acquisition of the media business of SCMP Group
- Alibaba.com Limited on its privatisation by Alibaba Group and withdrawal of listing from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- the 17 underwriters on the US$4 billion IPO and Hong Kong listing of the People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China Limited (PICC). This was the largest IPO in Hong Kong in 2011-2012 and the fourth largest IPO globally (2012) which set a global record for the number of underwriters. It also won the 'Deal of the Year' at the Asian-Mena Counsel Awards 2012 and the 'Equity Deal of the Year' at the IFLR Asia Awards 2013
Clara is the only lawyer who has advised on all three takeovers of Hong Kong banks in recent years:
- Advising Chong Hing Bank on its US$1.5 billion takeover by Yue Xiu Enterprises
- Advising OCBC on its US$4.95 billion privatisation of Wing Hang Bank. This transaction won the ‘M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia’ at The American Lawyer’s Asia Legal Awards 2015 and the ‘M&A Deal of the Year’ at the IFLR Asia Awards 2015
- Advising a bidder on the auction sale of Nanyang Commercial Bank (which was sold for US$8.8 billion)
Clara is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales and Hong Kong and speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese and reads and writes Chinese. She read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford University.
List of all our partners