Chris is a partner in our corporate department, covering China and the Asia-Pacific region from our office in Hong Kong. His practice focuses on advising clients on significant corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, and governance.
In 2017, Chris was listed in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 (which highlights the most innovative and creative lawyers from in-house, private practice and the Bar), and voted second by other advisers in the Financial News’ Partner of the Year Award, in each case for his advice to the directors of ARM Holdings on the US$34bn takeover bid from SoftBank. In the 2019 and 2020 editions of IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific, he is recognised as a ‘Rising star’ for M&A, having been previously recognised in the Legal 500 for M&A while based in London.
Chris spent six months in corporate advisory at Barclays investment banking division in 2011.
He is co-author of a chapter on stake building during public takeovers in “A Practitioner’s Guide To The City Code on Takeovers and Mergers”.
Recent highlights include advising:
- SoftBank Vision Fund on investments across China and Asia-Pacific, including in Ping An Good Doctor and Ping An Healthcare Technology
- ARM on matters including the US$34bn takeover bid from SoftBank, and the joint venture of its Chinese semiconductor business
- FWD on matters including the acquisition of SCB Life from, and bancassurance arrangement with, Siam Commercial Bank in Thailand, which is the largest insurance M&A deal ever in Southeast Asia
- Standard Chartered on matters including the establishment of an Hong Kong hub entity structure for its Asia businesses, and a strategic investment in Linklogis, the Chinese blockchain-powered supply chain finance platform
- Prudential on matters including a bancassurance arrangement with United Overseas Bank for Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam, a bancassurance arrangement with SeABank in Vietnam, and the acquisition by Eastspring Investments of a controlling stake in Thanachart Fund Management in Thailand
- United Energy Group on its acquisition of Kuwait Energy, an upstream oil and gas company, with key assets in Iraq, Egypt and Oman
List of all our partners