Ben advises both financial institutions and non-regulated firms on the UK and EU financial regulatory aspects of a broad range of matters and projects including:
- group reorganisations and corporate restructurings
- new capital issuances
- transactional structuring to achieve regulatory capital efficiencies
- new authorisations
- joint ventures
- mergers and acquisitions
- developments in European regulatory policy and rule-making
- corporate governance and conduct of business requirements, including client asset rules
- securities laws
- complex funding structures
- regulatory perimeter issues
- e-money, payment, and mobile banking services, including innovation in the Fintech sector
- market conduct issues
Ben co-heads our fintech practice, and in that role advises a broad range of established financial institution, technology, media and telco groups, challenger organisations, and fintech start-ups, including through the firm’s Fintech Fast Forward legal incubation programme. Ben is a contributing editor of The International Comparative Legal Guide to Fintech 2017.
Ben also has considerable experience in advising on the UK and international anti-money laundering and financial sanctions regimes. He edits the Thomson Reuters publication, 'A Practitioner's Guide to the UK Financial Services Rulebooks', co-authors the UK chapter of Getting the Deal Through’s 'Banking Regulation' publication, and writes a regular banking and investment services column for PLC Financial Services. Ben is listed as a leading individual in the 'Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory' section of Chambers UK and in the ‘Fintech’ section of the Legal 500 rankings.
As a member of the firm’s Global Investigations group, Ben has also advised a range of financial sector firms on the conduct of internal regulatory investigations and in relation to the management of regulator-led enquiries and investigations.
List of all our partners