Joined firm: 1999
Partner since: 2008
- One Bunhill Row, London, EC1Y 8YY
Ben advises both financial institutions and non-regulated firms on the UK and EU financial regulatory aspects of a broad range of matters and projects including: group reorganisations and corporate restructurings; new capital issuances; transactional structuring to achieve regulatory capital efficiencies; new authorisations; joint ventures; mergers and acquisitions; developments in European regulatory policy and rule-making; corporate governance and conduct of business requirements, including client asset rules; securities laws; complex funding structures; regulatory perimeter issues; e-money and payment services, including mobile payments; and market conduct issues.
Recent highlights of Ben's work include advising:
- Direct Line Insurance Group on its initial public offering
- the Ministry of Finance in a eurozone member state in connection with the recapitalisation of certain systemically important banks, using facilities from the IMF
- Chi-X Europe Limited and its consortium of board-represented shareholders on the combination of Chi-X with BATS Global Markets, Inc
- American Express on a range of assignments relating to retail financial services products
- UK Financial Investments on the establishment of a common holding and governance structure for Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc and Bradford & Bingley plc
- HM Treasury on a range of matters arising out of the financial crisis, including on the governmental interventions in Northern Rock, Bradford & Bingley, the Icelandic banks, Lloyds, HBOS and RBS, as well as the implementation of the UK Asset Protection Scheme
Ben has considerable experience in advising on the UK and international anti-money laundering and financial sanctions regimes, co-edits the City & Financial publication, 'A Practitioner’s Guide to UK Money Laundering Law and Regulation', and writes a regular banking and investment services column for PLC Financial Services. Ben is also a member of the Regulatory Committee of the City of London Law Society.
As a member of the firm’s Financial Regulatory Investigations group, Ben has also advised a range of financial sector firms on the conduct of internal regulatory investigations and in relation to the management of regulator-led enquiries and investigations.
List of all our partners