Mergers and Acquisitions
We are tier 1 in the 2019 and 2020 legal directories for M&A in Asia, the UK and Europe. Many of our partners are in the elite leading lawyers guides and recognised as leaders in corporate and M&A in Asia and Europe. We are also the top legal advisory firm in numerous league tables.
2019 Rankings - Tier 1 for M&A and Corporate in the Legal Directories and Reports in China and Europe
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 for Corporate/M&A: The Elite (International Firms) in China
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 for Corporate (including M&A) in Hong Kong
- IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific 2020 for Mergers and Acquisitions in Hong Kong
- Asian Legal Business (ALB) Asia M&A Rankings 2019 for Hong Kong and China International
- Chambers Europe 2019 for Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability – UK
- IFLR1000 2020 for Mergers and Acquisitions in the United Kingdom
- Legal 500 2019 for M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £250m+ (London, Corporate and Commercial)
Elite leading lawyers in the Asia Pacific Region for Corporate and M&A in China
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019: Corporate/M&A (International Firms) China (Benita Yu)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019: Corporate (including M&A) (Peter Brien); Antitrust and competition (Natalie Yeung); and Capital markets – Equity (John Moore and Benita Yu)
- IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific 2020: Mergers & Acquisitions (Benita Yu (Highly regarded), Charlton Tse (Highly regarded) and Chris McGaffin (Rising Star))
- International Who's Who Legal 2019: Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, Hong Kong (Peter Brien, David Watkins and Benita Yu).
We also have six partners listed as experts in this sector of the publication for London and are the only firm to have this many partners (nine in total) considered leaders in the area of M&A law in Hong Kong and London. Who’s Who Legal identifies the foremost legal practitioners in business law based upon comprehensive, independent research.
1st place in the H1 2019 Global M&A Legal Rankings
We hold a pre-eminent position in the numerous legal league tables for M&A and are regularly ranked in the top tier rankings published by Bloomberg, Mergermarket and Refinitiv.
In H1 2019 Global M&A Market Review Legal Rankings reports, Slaughter and May is:
- 1st place for Hong Kong announced deals by value and volume, published by Bloomberg
- 1st place for Hong Kong announced deals by value and volume, published by Refinitiv
- 1st place for UK announced deals by value, published by Refinitiv
Recent Awards for M&A
- China Law & Practice Award 2019 – Won TMT Deal of the Year 2019 (Alibaba's strategic partnership with YOOX Net-A-Porter)
- Asia Legal Awards 2019 – Won M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia (Shire’s acquisition of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company) and M&A Deal of the Year: South Asia (Vodafone’s merger of Bharti Infratel and Indus Towers)
- China Law & Practice Awards 2018 – Won M&A Deal of the Year. Three transactions we advised on were finalists. We were also a finalist for M&A firm of the Year (International)
- IFLR Asia Awards 2018 – Won M&A Deal of the Year
- Asia-mena Counsel Deals of the Year 2017 – Won Deal of the Year 2017
- China Business Law Journal’s Deals of the Year 2017 – three transactions we advised on won Deal of the Year 2017
- The China Law & Practice Awards 2017 – Won TMT Deal of the Year and Finance Deal of the Year
- The American Lawyer Global Legal Awards 2017 – Won Global M&A Deal of the Year: China, Global M&A Deal of the Year: Japan, and Global M&A Deal of the Year: UK
- Asian Legal Business Japan Law Awards 2017 - Won Japan Deal of the Year, Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year, and M&A Deal of the Year (Premium)
- The Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards 2017 - Won M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia.
FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers
In the FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2019 report we are in the top 20 Most Innovative Law Firms 2019 (International) category and were ranked Commended for two matters – advising the Lai Sun Group and the Hong Kong Association of Banks – in the section Enabling Business Growth and Transformation. In the FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2018 report, three transactions we advised on were ranked Commended: CNBM on its merger-by-absorption of Sinoma (in the Managing Complexity and Scale (International) section), Alibaba on the acquisition of Sun Art Retail (in the Enabling Business Growth (International) section), and Yingde Gases on its sale to PAG Capital (in the Driving Value (International) section).
Who's Who Legal 2019 - M&A
In the M&A and Governance practice area of Who’s Who Legal 2019, we have three partners in Hong Kong and six partners in London identified as leading legal practitioners in the area of M&A in business of law. We are the only firm in this publication to have this many partners considered leading individuals in the area of M&A.
Slaughter and May's top-tier status is underpinned by its outstanding reputation for advising its clients on their most strategically significant, high-value and complex transactions in China and Asia. Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2019