Mergers and Acquisitions
We are tier 1 in the 2019 legal directories for M&A in Asia, the UK and Europe. Many of our partners are in the elite leading lawyers guides and recognised as leaders in corporate and M&A in Asia and Europe. We are also the top legal advisory firm in numerous league tables.
2019 Rankings - Tier 1 for M&A and Corporate in the Legal Directories in China and Europe
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 for Corporate/M&A: The Elite (International Firms) in China
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 for Corporate (including M&A) in Hong Kong
- ALB (Asian Legal Business) M&A Rankings 2018 (of the best law firms for M&A in Asia) in Hong Kong and China
- Chambers Europe 2019 for Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability – UK
- IFLR1000 2019 for Mergers and Acquisitions in the United Kingdom
- Legal 500 2019 for M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £250m+ (London, Corporate and Commercial)
Elite leading lawyers in the Asia Pacific Region for Corporate and M&A in China
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019: Corporate/M&A (International Firms) China (Benita Yu)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019: Corporate (including M&A) (Peter Brien); Antitrust and competition (Natalie Yeung); and Capital markets – Equity (John Moore and Benita Yu)
- IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific 2019: Mergers & Acquisitions (Benita Yu (Highly regarded), Charlton Tse (Highly regarded) and Chris McGaffin (Rising Star))
- International Who's Who Legal 2019: Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, Hong Kong (Peter Brien, David Watkins and Benita Yu).
We also have nine partners listed as experts in this sector of the publication for London and are the only firm to have this many partners considered leaders in the area of merger and acquisition law in Hong Kong and London. Who’s Who Legal identifies the foremost legal practitioners in business law based upon comprehensive, independent research.
Top legal advisory firm in the league table legal rankings in 2019
We are regularly ranked in the top tier in the M&A league tables published by Bloomberg, Mergermarket and Thomson Reuters:
H1 2019 - Bloomberg’s H1 Global M&A Market Review Legal Rankings, we are:
- 1st place for Hong Kong Announced Deals (By Deal Count) (deal count of 6)
- 1st place for Hong Kong Announced Deals (By Volume) (deal count of 6)
- 1st place for UK Announced Deals (By Volume) (deal count of 15)
- 6th place for China Announced Deals (By Deal Count) (deal count of 6)
- 6th place place for Europe Announced Deals - Principals (By Volume) (deal count of 20)
Q1 2019 – Mergermarket’s Global & Regional M&A Report - League Tables of Legal Advisors, we are:
- 1st place for UK league table by value (deal count of 11)
- 15th place for Greater China league table by value (deal count 1)
Recent Awards for M&A
- Asia Legal Awards 2019 – two transactions we advised on won M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia (Shire’s acquisition of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company) and M&A Deal of the Year: South Asia (Vodafone’s merger of Bharti Infratel and Indus Towers)
- China Law & Practice Awards 2018 – one transaction we advised on won M&A Deal of the Year. Three transactions we advised on were finalists. We were also a finalist for M&A firm of the Year (International)
- IFLR Asia Awards 2018 – one transaction we advised on won M&A Deal of the Year
- Asia-mena Counsel Deals of the Year 2017 – one transaction we advised on won Deal of the Year 2017
- China Business Law Journal’s Deals of the Year 2017 – three transactions we advised on won Deal of the Year 2017
- The China Law & Practice Awards 2017 – two transactions we advised on won TMT Deal of the Year and Finance Deal of the Year
- The American Lawyer Global Legal Awards 2017 – three transactions we advised on won Global M&A Deal of the Year: China, Global M&A Deal of the Year: Japan and Global M&A Deal of the Year: UK
- Asian Legal Business Japan Law Awards 2017 - two transactions we advised on won Japan Deal of the Year, Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year, and M&A Deal of the Year (Premium)
- The Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards 2017 - one transaction we advised on won M&A Deal of the Year: North Asia.
FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers
In the FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2019 report we are in the top 20 Most Innovative Law Firms 2019 (International) category and were ranked Commended for two matters – advising the Lai Sun Group and the Hong Kong Association of Banks – in the section Enabling Business Growth and Transformation. In the FT Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2018 report, three transactions we advised on were ranked Commended: CNBM on its merger-by-absorption of Sinoma (in the Managing Complexity and Scale (International) section), Alibaba on the acquisition of Sun Art Retail (in the Enabling Business Growth (International) section), and Yingde Gases on its sale to PAG Capital (in the Driving Value (International) section).
Slaughter and May's top-tier status is underpinned by its outstanding reputation for advising its clients on their most strategically significant, high-value and complex transactions in China and Asia. Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2019