Employment is a constantly changing and increasingly regulated area. We provide our clients with practical responses to the raft of new legislation, case law and regulatory changes.
We advise on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters, including:
- drafting and negotiating employment documentation, especially for key senior personnel
- the latest corporate governance and executive remuneration requirements, particularly phased payments and avoiding rewards for failure
- the impact of EU legislation, including on working time and 'family-friendly' policies
- managing information and consultation requirements, often on a cross-jurisdictional basis
- redundancies and restructurings
- employment disputes and dismissals
- complex issues involving discrimination, whistle-blowing, and restrictive covenants
- employment aspects of all commercial transactions including acquisitions, disposals and service provision changes, flotations, takeovers and insolvent restructurings
We regularly prepare cases for the Employment Tribunal and High Court and have taken cases to the Court of Appeal. We also have considerable experience in negotiating settlements.
They are always on the issues. They are timely, precise and they find solutions Chambers UK, 2016View all Pensions and Employment media comments
Our key experience includes advising:
INEOS in relation to the industrial relations dispute at Grangemouth oil refinery which centred on proposed changes to the pension scheme.
Renesas Electronics Corporation on a large scale cross-border redundancy process in connection with the sale or closure of a number of its subsidiaries.
Royal Mail on the employment aspects of its IPO and modernisation programme.
Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) plc, a leading global provider of personal wireless technology, on the transfer of its handset operations to Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. The transaction was conditional on several hundred key employees in numerous jurisdictions transferring to Samsung; an outcome we achieved via a sophisticated and innovative contractual mechanism.
Olympus Corporation in relation to a whistleblowing, unfair dismissal and race discrimination/harassment claim brought by its former CEO Michael Woodford. We advised on all aspects of the tribunal litigation, including complex jurisdictional issues, and on the confidential settlement which was reached shortly before the hearing (in the face of significant worldwide media interest).