Demergers and Reorganisations
Our considerable expertise covers:
- the spinning-off of businesses for strategic reasons
- superimposing new holding companies to facilitate returns of value or the creation of distributable reserves
- the reorganisation of accountancy firms and banking groups
- the reconstruction of groups to achieve long-term viability
- the restructuring of a number of companies ahead of their flotation
- the use of schemes of arrangement and other court processes
- the conversion of some of our listed property clients into Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
- the redomiciliation of some of our clients to overseas jurisdictions
Our key experience includes advising:
Cairn India on the reorganisation of Cairn Energy PLC's Indian business prior to flotation.
Cadbury Schweppes on the demerger of its American beverages business to Dr Snapple Group, Inc., the shares in which have been listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
Provident Financial on the demerger and subsequent flotation of its international home credit business.
BBA in relation to the demerger and subsequent flotation of Fiberweb, its materials technology business.
COLT Telecom Group on a number of proposals relating to the corporate structure and reorganisation of the COLT Group.
Brambles Industries on the streamlining of the Brambles Industries Group and unification of its dual-listed companies structure.
Derwent London on its conversion to a REIT.
Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies, in conjunction with De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek and Cravath Swaine & Moore, on its unification under a single parent company.
Bunzl, the international distribution and outsourcing group, on the demerger and public listing of Filtrona.
the UK Government on the restructuring plan for the British Energy Group and in relation to Northern Rock.