Case study: Work experience

We are proud to be a founding member of PRIME, a profession-wide commitment to give fair access to quality work experience to young people from less privileged backgrounds.

We provide students with placements in legal and non-legal teams and aim to inspire them to think about a career in the legal profession, opening their eyes to the vast range of roles on offer.

In 2013, we developed a successful joint legal work experience initiative with ITV then helped grow the model into what is now known as the Legal Social Mobility Partnership (LSMP).

The award-winning programme consists of two weeks’ intensive skills training coupled with work insights: students first spend a week in a private practice law firm and then a further week visiting four different in-house teams, with a final day spent with a top sports team learning about resilience and the psychology of achieving goals. Post-programme, students are offered university and legal career guidance plus a network they can call upon for additional support.

The LSMP programme’s objectives are to:

• break down both social and psychological barriers to entering the legal profession for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
  • develop students’ presenting, interviewing, influencing, resilience and negotiation skills
  • arm students with ammunition for CVs, LinkedIn profiles and personal statements for university and job applications
  • link students to a network of legal professionals who are happy to share their experiences and help students achieve their career aspirations.

The scheme has rapidly grown year on year and is now delivered in London, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham, with plans to grow into other regions of the country. In 2016, 210 students and over 50 organisations took part.

“It’s a great talking point. In every application I write now, I refer to LSMP and my experience on the programme. I used what I learnt about IP on the programme to open my UCAS personal statement.””

Shama Aktar, student from the 2015 programme, City & Islington College

“All of us involved in the scheme feel strongly that entry to the legal profession should be meritocratic and without social barriers. Now in its third year, our scheme encourages students to build their confidence both through demystifying the world of business and by giving them a wealth of ammunition to populate their CVs and tackle interviews with self-assurance.”

Barry Matthews, Director of Legal Affairs & Third Party Sales, ITV

Legal Social Mobility Partnership

Loading the player ...